Posting Number 20110175
Job Title Database Administrator
Job Category Staff
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Database Administrator who is dedicated, enthusiastic and experienced.
The Database Administrator role is managing releases, system enhancements and other strategic and technical initiatives implemented during specified maintenance windows. Database responsibilities include entering and verifying database transactions, perform basic physical database design, and maintain database records. Performs routine query functions and generates applicable reports. Working collaboratively with all impacted functional areas and others to ensure a successful completion of assigned projects is required. The Database Administrator will report directly to the Vice President and CIO and is responsible for but not limited to the following:
• Release scheduling and planning
• Release risk identification and response planning
• Release deployment and post-release support
• Release metrics gathering and reporting
• Support releases during weekend maintenance windows when applicable
• Set and manage release expectations ensuring all applicable groups are engaged in the release
• Designs, implements, and maintains databases using various software applications.
• Designs and runs queries to extract and compile data for reports.
• Develops and implements appropriate backup and recovery procedures to ensure database integrity.
• Formats and generates reports, including summary, statistical, and/or presentation.
• Verifies input data to ensure accuracy of completed work; scans and edits for errors during processing.
• Tests and documents work; writes and maintains operator instructions.
• Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
• May participate in procurement, installation, and implementation of hardware and software.
• Ability to design and implement systems necessary to collect, maintain, and analyze data.
• Ability to design and run computer systems queries.
• Knowledge of computer systems backup/data recovery methods and procedures.
• Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
• Ability to format and generate summary, statistical, and presentation reports.
• Knowledge of structured programming, testing, and debugging techniques.
• Ability to write technical instructions in the use of programs and/or program modifications.
• Ability to verify data input and correct errors.
• Skill in the configuration and use of computerized database programs.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Minimum of Associate degree in subject from an accredited college or university;
• CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network + certification or equivalent knowledge
• Experience with network monitoring and other network administrative tools
• Experience with computer service and repair
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills.
• Be able to complete duties assigned in a timely fashion and meet dead lines
Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Initiative – Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Compensation is based on skills, ability, education, etc.
The pay range is between 40K – 55K annually.
Special Instructions to Applicants