Posting Number 20110182
Job Title Part-Time EXCEL Retention Specialist
Job Category Staff
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a part-time EXCEL Retention Specialist who is dedicated, enthusiastic and experienced.
Position Summary: The Retention Specialist will facilitate participant integration into the project through personal links to peer mentors and technological links to faculty. This will create a positive campus climate, thus increasing retention and graduation rates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Administer ambassador-mentoring program, including marketing, hiring and training ambassador mentors.
• Provide academic advising and counseling for program participants. These advising duties include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
• Meet individually with program participants.
• Facilitate and sponsor activities for program participants designed to enrich their academic experience at the College and promote retention.
• Coordinate with others in Academic Support to provide programming to enhance student success.
• Work closely with teaching faculty of both developmental and non-developmental courses in the following manner:
• Serve as primary source for referrals from faculty who perceive students needing greater assistance or involvement in student success activities.
• Direct intervention activities for program participants to resolve academic and attendance problems.
• Document the interventions described above.
• Oversee project participants and help them enhance their computer skills using SMC Wired, the College’s electronic communication system.
• Assist the EXCEL Director to set up visits to 4-year colleges and/or universities.
• Assist in the data maintenance gathering for the Annual Progress Report
Master’s degree in Education, Psychology or Counseling.
• Standard teaching practices, methods, and techniques.
• Local job market.
• Social resources within the community.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work closely with other members of a team for common goals.
• Ability to maintain accurate reports, attendance and other records.
• Proficiency with standard computer programs.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials and other data for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Special Instructions to Applicants