Posting Number: Regular_0090729
Position Title: Dean - Science, Biotechnology, Mathematics and Information Technology
HR Job Title: Academic Dean
FLSA E = Exempt
Position Type: Faculty
The Dean of Science, Biotechnology, Mathematics and Information Technologies oversees all SBMIT programs and course offerings. The incumbent is responsible for serving as a critical STEM liaison to both NCRC partners as well as the larger community. Ideally, the position also seeks and obtains external funding to promote STEM-related activities. The dean also serves as primary program coordinator for the Associate of Science degree.
1. Managing the efforts of Program Chairs or Program Directors in developing, coordinating, and evaluating all aspects of the program areas. Organizing and conducting departmental meetings and facilitating advisory committee meetings. Monitoring faculty absences and departmental climate. Reviewing and approving course syllabi.
2. Exhibiting management and leadership skills in supporting the Academic Vice President in the selection, orientation, training, mentoring, and evaluation of full-time and part-time faculty members, and in the resolution of student and personnel matters, in compliance with the college’s grievance procedure.
3. Reviewing, preparing and implementing the departmental budget. Recommending acquisition of new equipment and instructional materials. Facilitating program growth and improvements.
4. Encouraging the application of collaborative learning, where appropriate. Advising students on academic matters. Developing and evaluating department goals and objectives. Reviewing and adjusting instructional loads for all program areas relative to the current load benchmark. Conducting annual faculty performance evaluations in an effective manner in cooperation with the Academic Vice President.
5. Monitoring the role of Cooperative Education Advisers with the Program Chair or Program Director. Supporting appropriate professional development activities.
6. Maintaining currency in technical skills. Serving as a member of the Technology Advisory Committee and other committees as required. Supporting and helping implement technological advancement. Proposing new programs for development
7. Representing the department at college functions and activities. Attending graduation events. Maintaining a positive and professional climate among faculty and staff
8. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with other divisions, departments, external agencies, and peer institutions. An Academic Dean is compensated for performing administrative duties with sufficient release time from teaching to accomplish delegated tasks.
Staff Required Education/Experience:
Faculty Required Education/Experience Skills:
The successful candidate will be required to have a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in a discipline related to the assignment, three years of demonstrated performance in supervision and management in higher education, or in a commercial, industrial or research setting.
The successful candidate will preferably have a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in a related discipline; at least five years’ experience as an academic dean, department chair, or program head at a regionally accredited institution of higher education or in supervision/management in a commercial, industrial or research setting; leadership experience in a community college with documented teaching experience at the community college level; demonstrated expertise in teaching with an emphasis on using technology in the classroom and collaborative/active learning strategies; and experience in program development.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Department: Academic Programs Ofc
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. Evenings and weekends as necessary.
Posting Date: 12/12/2013
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants: