Salary Range: $55,891 - $87,330
Title: Database Administrator
Location: Maricopa Community Colleges District Office – Tempe, AZ
Department: District Office Information Technology Services
Hours: Mon - Fri; 40 hrs, varied
Work Calendar: 12 Months
Application Due: 4/13/2014
Link to apply:
About Maricopa Community Colleges District
A Community of Colleges…Colleges for the Community…ten colleges, two skill centers and a Corporate College meeting the life-long learning needs of diverse students and communities. Maricopa Community Colleges is one of the largest community college systems in the United States, with more than 200,000 students. We have been one of the largest providers of job training in Arizona for more than five decades. Six of our colleges have been recognized by the Aspen Institute among the nation's top 150 community colleges. We are proud to be named as one of the healthiest employers in the valley by the Phoenix Business Journal, with an American Heart Association Gold Award as a fit-friendly work site.
Serves as a member of the database administrator team to plan, support, and administrate the current and future state of applications and databases to ensure their performance, availability and security. Responsibilities include the design, installation, configuration, maintenance, backup/recovery, high availability, database security and troubleshooting of multiple Microsoft SQL Server databases and data warehouse environments. Additional responsibilities include integration and communication between SQL Server databases and Oracle databases.
50% - Monitors and troubleshoots database issues including assisting programmers with technical questions
35% - Designs, implements, upgrades and configures databases; provides maintenance, performance tuning and testing; responsible for database security, backups and disaster recovery
15% - Analyzes data requirements from functional specifications; works with end users to fix bugs, implement enhancements and answer questions relating to database capabilities/functionality
1. Experience with Enterprise Edition SQL Server configuration, maintenance, and best practices
2. High level of understanding of the setup and maintenance of backup and recovery using SQL Server Enterprise Manager as well as SQL Server Log Shipping and Mirroring
3. Fundamental understanding of SQL Server Analysis Services and Integration Services
4. Fundamental understanding of Performance Monitor and SQL Server Profiler
5. Experience writing basic SQL code and use of Dynamic Management Views
1. Bachelor's degree from an accredited academic institution in an Information Technology or closely related field
2. Working knowledge of Oracle 10g and 11g
3. Working knowledge of SQL Server 2008R2, and 2012
4. Experience with setting up and maintaining database links and integrating SQL Server databases with other SQL Server and Oracle databases
5. Experience working in a higher education environment
6. Experience with PeopleSoft applications
7. Microsoft SQL Server certification
8. Experience working in a team environment
Special Working Conditions
This position may require prolonged monitor viewing. After-hours and weekend work will occasionally be required. On-call via cell phone is required. May require some travel.
Please submit a cover letter and resume. The cover letter must address how the applicant meets the stated qualifications.
The Governing Board of the Maricopa Community College District does not allow for hiring of individuals using H1B Visas.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter detailing how you meet the minimum and desired requirements of the post.