||CAREER/TRANSFER CENTER ASST
$1,077/month 19 hours
Range 10 10 months
July 10, 2014, 5:00 pm, PST
August, 2014 (approximate)
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent
- One year experience involving public contact, preferably with students
- Experience using computers, including word processing, databases, and Windows (e.g. Microsoft Word, Publisher, Access, Excel).
- Be sensitive to and understand the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- Two years of college and two years of experience involving student contact.
Under supervision, assists in the day-to-day operation of the Career/Transfer Center; assists students in identifying resources for career decision making, scholarships, job and labor market searches; assists in maintaining and updating Career/Transfer Center resources for students and staff; makes classroom presentations, performs general clerical duties, including bulk mailing projects.
- Familiar with career and transfer information and resources in a variety of formats
- Assists students in career exploration, matching career interests/majors with applicable college majors
- Assists in working with individual students and/or groups of students to provide career and transfer center services information and orientations
- Maintains and updates library of college catalogs and other educational career and scholarship resources
- Assists in developing information flyers, pamphlets and newsletters
- Requests and maintains college and transfer-related information from various colleges;
- Collects and organizes data and reports
- Maintains and updates Merced College Catalog bulk mail database for faculty and college distribution
- Processes and maintains Center files as needed
- Provides transfer information and requirement information and resources;
- Informs students about the steps to complete before meeting with the transfer counselor for a guaranteed transfer agreement
- Assists with preparing and maintaining office space with appropriate resources for the four-year college representatives
- Assists the transfer counselor with all activities related to the preparation and execution of Transfer Day/College Night
- May accompany students and counselor on field trips to four-year colleges and universities as needed.
- Computer software applications and procedures
- Principles of business letters and report writing
- Communicate effectively to a diverse range of college students to assist them in using resources to explore majors, careers, job requirements, and transfer-related information
- Assist students to use resources independently
- Work effectively with college staff, other institutions, business people and other community groups and organizations
- Work independently
- Organize and prioritize work in a work environment with many interruptions
- Work cooperatively with others
- Perform a variety of clerical duties
How to Apply: All applicants must provide the following items by the closing date in order to be considered for this recruitment. If materials are emailed or faxed in order to meet the deadline, it is the responsibility of the candidate to send originals immediately. Email to: HR@mccd.edu, Fax 209-384-6103
1. Obtain application from the Office of Human Resources or download from the Application Section below and complete the entire form.
2. Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
It is the applicants responsibility to ensure that all required materials are in the Human Resources Office on the filing deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Application for Download
Classified Position Application [Word Doc 206k]
This application may be downloaded, saved to disk, and filled out using Microsoft Word 97 or higher. You may navigate the application blank by tabbing from field to field or pointing and clicking with the mouse. The blanks where information is to be filled in are non-printing characters. If there are additional pages in your application because of the information you included, that is OK.
All materials submitted in your application file become District property and will not be returned to you. Please send to:
Cathy Harris, Office of Human Resources, Merced College, 3600 M Street, Merced, CA 95348-2898
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed most qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee. Finalist interviews with district administrators may follow. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Expenses for travel and accommodations will be the responsibility of the candidates.
Employee Benefits: Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be livescanned and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. The Immigration Reform Act of 1986 requires verification of the right to work in the United States. Applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. All classified employees, as a condition of employment, must become members of California School Employees Association or pay a representation fee in an equal amount to a charity agreeable to CSEA. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
An Equal Opportunity Employer