Athletic Director/Head Coach
- Rock Valley College
- Location: Rockford, Illinois
- Category: Admin-Athletics/Coaching
- Posting Date: 09/10/2019
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Title: Athletic Director and Head Coach
Employee Status: Full-time
Reports to: Vice President/Chief Operating Officer.
Supervision Exercised: Full-time and part-time coaching staff and associated personnel within the athletic program.
The Athletic Director provides leadership and direction for Rock Valley College's intercollegiate sports program in compliance with the rules and regulations of the National Junior College Athletic Association. As part of this position, the Athletic Director shall coach one major sport each academic year. The Athletic Director is responsible for maintaining an athletic program that emphasizes the student-athlete concept.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Related duties may be assigned.
Athletic Director Responsibilities:
1. Serve as the college representative to the NJCAA, ensuring that all college policies, procedures, and events are in compliance with NJCAA and other relevant governing bodies.
2. Oversee the recruitment, hiring and supervision of all staff in the Athletic Department, including clerical, head coaches, assistant head coaches, medical director, athletic trainer, student workers, and game workers.
3. Coordinate the development of long-term planning for athletics.
4. Coordinate, with the Dean Allied Health and others, use of the Physical Education Center and other athletic facilities.
5. Provide leadership for the marketing of athletic programs among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community.
6. Plan and direct fund-raising programs, in conjunction with the Rock Valley College Foundation.
7. Maintain the athletic department budget and oversee the team budgets.
8. Oversee team management duties, including recruitment, training, teaching, and other support activities.
9. Supervise coaches, ensuring the coaching manual is updated.
10. Develop and oversee an annual orientation program for student athletes.
11. Develop and implement appropriate tracking of and maintain appropriate information regarding scholastic performance of student athletes. Work with advisors, counselors, faculty, and other areas as appropriate to ensure that student athletes receive needed intervention and academic assistance in a timely manner.
12. Serve on the Athletic Council and help to guide the implementation of the Athletic Strategic Plan.
13. Develop and disseminate team schedules for all college sporting events.
14. Oversee the effective maintenance of all athletic facilities and equipment.
15. Oversee sports medical physician and athletic trainer to ensure all reporting and record keeping is complete.
16. Maintain accurate and official team records, individual records, and program histories.
17. Ensure ongoing eligibility of student athletes.
18. Coordinate all team travel adhering to prudent budgetary practices.
19. Oversee the Fitness Lab in the PEC.
20. Liaison with RVC Booster Club. Coordinate fundraising activities for all RVC sports programs.
21. Attend Dean's Council meetings, as needed.
22. Head Coach Responsibilities.
23. Provide administrative leadership for all RVC sports programs, including men's and women's soccer, basketball and bowling programs, men's baseball program, and women's softball and volleyball programs, including hiring and supervision of additional coaching staff.
24. Provide administrative leadership to implement men's and women's intramural sports programs.
25. Ability to perform head coach duties for one of RVC's sports programs, including recruiting, coaching, administrative, academics, camps/clinics, and community involvement.
Head Coach Essential Duties:
1. Coordinate scheduling and management of team contests, officials practices, travel arrangements and facilities utilization.
2. Evaluate assistant coaching staff as assigned.
3. Coordinate, track and implement a recruitment plan to meet the initiatives of the Athletic Strategic Plan as to In-District and Out-of-District, and Out-of-State ratios.
4. Organize and run practice sessions.
5. Coach games and contests.
6. Supervise student-athletes during practice, contests, and travel.
7. Select, order and inventory equipment within budget constraints and supervise return of said equipment at the completion of the season.
8. Recruit and document student-athletes within the established guidelines of the Athletic Strategic Plan.
9. Support the Booster Club by attending meetings, participating in fundraising activities and membership drives.
10. Facilitate the maintenance and management of information and records as mandated by the Athletic Strategic Plan.
11. Participate in committee activities as assigned by the Athletic Director.
12. Maintain positive communication with all members of the athletic department, RVC faculty and staff, and news media.
13. Distribute and enforce adherence to the RVC and NJCAA Student Athlete Code of Conduct.
14. Monitor and report eligibility and academic progress required by the Athletic Strategic Plan for student-athletes.
15. Attend and participate in professional development germane to your sport and/or position.
16. Comply with all N4C and NJCAA rules.
17. Support the academic initiatives and philosophies of RVC, the athletic department and the Athletic Strategic Plan.
18. Call in results of contests to area news media as well as the RVC Sports Information Director.
19. Complete and submit injury report forms to the appropriate person immediately following the injury.
20. Attend all mandatory coaches' meetings.
21. Attend all coaches' meetings as scheduled by the N4C and NJCAA.
22. Prepare and submit a season summary to the Vice President/Chief Operating Officer which contains the following:
o Names of individuals receiving awards
o Complete list of contest results
o List of special award winners
o MVP records of the sport
o Conference and NJCAA standings
o Season statistics
o Other pertinent data as needed
Master's degree required in Physical Education or a related field and a minimum of four to five years' experience in coaching and/or administration of intercollegiate athletics or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
1. Knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, rules, and regulations.
2. Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population.
3. Skill in establishing and maintaining an effective working relationship with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
4. Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
5. Ability to travel for sporting events.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting.
Physical Demands: Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that other may understands speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone, speak in audible tones so others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.