Office Support, Student Financials Customer Service Specialist
Date: March 24, 2023
Position Title: Office Support, Student Financials Customer Service Specialist
Department: Student Financial Services
Job ID: 1500
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 Hours/52 Weeks
Compensation: APSS, Level B - $17.25/hour
Reports to: Director of Student Financial Services
Posting Close Date: April 7, 2023
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
- Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
- A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
- Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
- Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
- Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
- Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
- Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
The GRCC Student Financial Services is responsible for all College cash and the billing and collection of over $55 million in tuition and fees annually. The Customer Service Specialist is the first point of contact for students, parents, staff and community customers with Student Financial Services. This position supports all of the student services activities related to student financials including but not limited to tuition collection, third party payments, Raider Card activity and disbursement of financial aid. This individual will complete the necessary requirements to assure that students are successful in navigating the options for financing their college education at GRCC.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Primary function is to provide exceptional customer service when assisting students on the phone, via email, and in person with all areas of student finance, fostering a friendly, supportive, and welcoming environment for customers.
- Take a lead role in resolving front-line customer complaints and reducing customer frustrations. Refer customers to appropriate staff in Student Financial Services and other GRCC departments as necessary.
- Collect and post student payments received in person, via the mail and over the phone and prepare receipts.
- Responsible for maintenance and reconciliation of daily individual cash drawer. Run daily cash report, balance tender to report, reconcile discrepancies and deliver to Head Cashier.
- Assist with the collection of past due accounts receivables through billings and phone calls.
- Assist students and parents in the use of technology to obtain information, make payments and select refund preferences, including but not limited to utilization of the Online Center, Blackboard (Raider Card), BankMobile and Nelnet.
- Assist students and parents with interpreting their GRCC student account and planning for payment of their educational expenses.
- Assist in creating, reviewing and revising office communications and promotional/informational materials.
- Assist with scanning, confirming, and linking documents for students into ImageNow to the appropriate student account.
- Receive and review Residency Review applications.
- Responsible for generating and reviewing residency letters, including mailing and maintaining a digital copy.
- Maintain records, files, and office activities in strict confidence in accordance with FERPA and other legal requirements.
- Provide basic information regarding GRCC student services (i.e., application, enrollment, counseling services, financial aid, etc.)
- Receive and respond to incoming e-mail requests to the Student Financial Services.
- Coordinate incoming and outgoing office mail.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Associate’s degree or comparable combination of relevant education and experience required.
- Minimum 2 years or more experience in accounting or comparable work.
- Minimum 2 years or more customer service experience (preferably in higher education setting)
- Finalists must possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detailed work. A skills assessment may be required.
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
- Information Skills
- Getting Information
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Interacting With Computers
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Documenting/Recording Information
- Processing Information
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
- Performing Administrative Activities
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College
- Problem-solving qualities in order to service customers efficiently and pleasantly.
- Exceptional math skills and demonstrated ability to understand basic accounting concepts.
- Ability to plan and work independently and as a team member in a multi-person, high volume customer service department.
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse student, staff and business partner population and provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work under pressure with many interruptions in a busy, student-centered environment.
- Must enjoy working with the public and possess good oral and written communications skills: ability to manage high volume of service requests via phone, email, and in person promptly, courteously and professionally.
- Must maintain a high level of ethics in dealing with large amounts of money.
- Must be efficient and possess good organization, problem-solving, decision-making, and complaint-resolution skills. Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations. Must maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance record.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Must be a quick learner.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regards to interruptions and the ability to handle pressure situations.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive, confidential, or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities and be able to exert initiative and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work independently, as well as cooperatively with teams.
- Ability to work in a noisy environment.
- Tolerant of frequent interruptions.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
- Ability to sit/stand for extended periods of time
- Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
- Be flexible in schedule to allow for changes during the semester. Ability to work evenings, week-ends and additional hours as requested by supervisor.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 7, 2023 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities