An incumbent may perform any combination of the below listed accountabilities:
1. Conducts armed patrols of campus buildings and grounds via foot, bicycle, and/or motorized vehicle to ensure compliance with public safety measures and the maintenance of a safe and secure environment conducive to student success
2. Initiates investigations of violations of Federal, state, and local laws and ordinances and/or violations of College policy. Assists the Public Safety Manager with investigations of suspicious and/or criminal activity which includes securing and preserving a crime scene and interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects. Makes arrests when warranted. Interacts with the appropriate law enforcement agencies and/or College/campus administration when needed.
3. Conducts routine inspections of Public Safety personnel and facilities to ensure compliance with College/campus policies, rules, and regulations. Conducts ongoing reviews of campus public safety procedures to ensure they are adequate and applicable to current organizational needs.
4. Initiates appropriate levels of physical intervention in strict compliance with the College Use of Force Policy.
5. Is a first responder to all emergencies and takes appropriate action to stabilize the situation until the arrival of a federal, state or local police agency or emergency medical service and by communicating with the Public Safety Manager and/or Chief of Public Safety. Initiates the intervention of emergency services in response to medical emergencies, criminal and domestic violence, traffic, miscellaneous complaints, and other activities.
6. Attends meetings related to public safety and participates in seminars/conferences relative to institutional public safety. Participates in all training required by the College to remain current in Public Safety knowledge, skills and practices.
7. Assists with coordinating environmental controls in each building; support all schedules through alternate room assignments on an as-needed basis.
8. Utilizes the College’s administrative software system to maintain electronic and written logs, diaries and records. Prepares routine reports of investigations as assigned for review by the Public Safety Manager.
9. Works closely with the Chief of Public Safety to execute plans to ensure a smooth transition of students and instructors to classes for evening classes when needed.
10. Provides the first level of Crisis Intervention to assist faculty and staff with unruly people and has ongoing direct contact and interaction with students.
11. Conducts courier services and transports bank deposits and sensitive, confidential documents as needed.
12. Provides Identification Card production services to the campus community. Maintains database of card issuance as assigned.
13. Enforces College policy, including the Tobacco Free Workplace policy, and educates violators regarding such polices.
14. Continues to meet the minimum standards established by the Board of Examiners and participates in any required training as needed. Attends internal and/or external training courses, classes, seminars and conferences to further develop protective services skills and knowledge.
15. May be required to work rotating shifts or at another campus location based upon the needs of the College.
16. Performs other related duties as required.