Physics, Full time - Tenure Track Position
Woodland Community College - Woodland, CA
As one of two colleges in the District, Woodland Community College is located in Woodland, CA. The College is excited about its status as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and serves our local communities in Woodland, Esparto, and Knights Landing in Yolo County, Lake County, and Colusa County. The College serves over 3,000 unduplicated students annually in multiple associate and certificated programs. WCC prides itself on an innovative, student-centered faculty and partnerships with school districts and four-year colleges in its service area. The small college setting provides an advantage for faculty and staff to adapt to new instructional methods and processes and to foster strong interdisciplinary collaborations that benefit students. The College is encouraging applicants to apply that are interested in taking on this – first ever – full-time, tenure track position in Physics. We are seeking a creative, innovative, and collaborative instructor to develop programs that will serve our local community and support students in transfer programs and career technical education.
The person hired in this position will teach all levels of lecture and laboratory physics classes and introductory astronomy. Additionally, the person will work with staff in the mathematics, engineering, chemistry, physical science and other related departments, as well as the MESA program.
Essential Duties Summary
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The person selected will be expected to:
• Organize and teach all levels of lecture and laboratory physics classes (basic concepts in physics, applied physics, trigonometry-based general physics, and calculus-based college physics) and introductory astronomy;
• Organize, prepare, and set-up labs; identify and order lab supplies.
• Prepare complete course syllabi and outlines;
• Develop and maintain a relevant community college physics curriculum, and assist in facilitating appropriate transfer/articulation agreements with four-year colleges and universities;
• Facilitate student learning by working to develop every students’ abilities;
• Teach courses as assigned to meet student needs, which may include distance learning (interactive television, online) and accelerated courses;
• Participate in program activities including curriculum and program planning, development, evaluation, and decision making as well as the development of new teaching-learning methods and materials;
• Maintain accurate attendance, scholastic, and student records, submit them according to published deadlines, and certify as to their accuracy;
• Comply with all institutional policies and procedures;
• Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility;
• Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
• Participate in department, division, and college-wide initiatives and committees;
• Be committed to, and participate in, the shared-governance process;
• Work effectively and professionally with colleagues and members of the college community;
• Lead the physics department as the sole full-time faculty member;
• Work with staff in the mathematics, engineering, chemistry, physical science and other related departments, as well as the MESA Program;
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff and faculty.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate, by the date of hire, must possess the minimum qualifications for instructors in Physics/Astronomy at California Community Colleges: (All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications must be from accredited institutions.)
• Master’s in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics OR
• Bachelor’s in physics or astronomy AND Master’s in engineering, mathematics, meteorology, or geophysics OR
• The equivalent OR
• Possess a California Community College life credential in the subject matter area of Physics/Astronomy.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to applicants with:
• Previous teaching, employment, or student experiences that provide the candidate with the ability to effectively, interactively, and creatively teach physics, astronomy, and/or other physics related courses below and at the transfer level to a diverse student population;
• Understanding of the needs of students at all levels of physics courses (general education courses, requirements for life science majors, requirements for physical science/engineering majors) as they relate to the mission of the Yuba Community College District;
• Knowledge of related disciplines such as physical science, earth science, engineering, mathematics, and chemistry;
• Experience supervising and/or working with a diverse student population;
• Master’s or Ph.D. in physics or astrophysics or geophysics;
• Strong background in the use of personal computers in the classroom/laboratory for simulation, visualization, date analysis and acquisition;
• Previous teaching experience utilizing distributive education (interactive television, online, etc.).
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Class 2, Step 1 to Class 6, Step 10
$56,772 - $87,564/YR.
BENEFITS/SALARY: The District offers a comprehensive benefits package for employees and dependent, valued at over $20,000 annually with a $310.50 monthly out of pocket expense to employees or dependents for monthly premiums. The package includes health, dental, vision, two (2) life insurance policies and an Employee Assistance program.
Additional benefits include contributions to the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS), 457/403b options, 10 sick days and a 178 day contract.
INITIAL PLACEMENT WILL NOT BE HIGHER THAN CLASS 6, STEP 10, ACCORDING TO THE ACADEMIC HANDBOOK.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: To apply, please visit: https://yccd.peopleadmin.com and complete an academic application (please provide description and details for each position held. See resume or left blank will automatically disqualify your application).
The following documents are required: Resume, All Transcripts, Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (attached in a Word document), a Cover letter/letter of interest and 3 Letters of Recommendation.
PLEASE NOTE: AS SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS, AN APPLICATION MAY, BUT NEED NOT, INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (a) one current evaluation from a peer or supervisor, (b) one abstract of a publication, and/or portfolio. NO OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL SHOULD BE INCLUDED.
EQUIVALENCY: Applicants must meet YCCD minimum qualifications by the filing date or have been awarded equivalency by the District prior to the publication of the Recruitment Announcement.
FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS: Include a U.S. evaluation and translation. Contact the Human Resources website for a list of agencies providing foreign transcript services.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment is dependent upon Department of Justice (DOJ) clearance; all fees are the responsibility of the selected candidates and serves the purpose of obtaining a criminal history as authorized by the California Education Code. All prospective employees shall be required to provide verification of TB test.
WORKING CONDITIONS: In accordance to Board Policy, smoking is prohibited in the facilities and on the grounds of Yuba Community College District.
WORK DAY, WORK WEEK, and WORK YEAR: The District has the right to establish work day, work week, work year; hours of positions within the District may vary.
INTERVIEW: A candidate selected for an interview will be required to visit Yuba Community College District at his/her own expense upon a date selected by the District. Meeting minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure all application materials are received by the application deadline date. All submitted materials become District property, will not be returned, will not be copied and will be considered for this recruitment only. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
IF YOU REQUIRE ACCOMMODATION TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please contact the Human Resources Office at (530) 741-8765.
TIMELINE: Interviews are scheduled for April/May 2019. Before a candidate is employed with the District, the candidate will be confirmed by the Governing Board; the proposed confirmation date is May/June 2019
•This position is anticipated to be assigned to Woodland Community College of the Yuba Community College District but may be assigned temporarily or permanently within the District.
1. In the interview, consideration will be given by the Selection Committee to factors other than education and experience, including, but not limited to, apparent personal development, ability to work with others, initiative, and sensitivity.
2. Candidates should not expect official notification of the status of their candidacy until the administration has acted upon the Selection Committee’s recommendation for employment.
3. The District reserves the right to investigate past employment records, including contacting former employers.
4. The District reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely the employment of a person for a position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate Qualified Applicant Pool.
5. As required by the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the Yuba Community College District, the Personnel Services and Human Resources Development Office is required to maintain an Equal Employment file, which will yield the composition of application flow by ethnic identification, gender and disability. This information will not be used as part of our recruiting process.
6. IMPORTANT: Any misstatements or omissions of material facts in this application or an interview may be cause for dismissal, if employed.
This position is open to Full Time YCFA Tenured Members from Friday, March 12, 2019 through March 25, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. The internal and external postings will run concurrently.
External applicants are welcome to apply during the in-house recruitment process. However, external applications will not be considered until the in-house recruitment period has ended.
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, the Yuba Community College District is committed to creating an inclusive and effective learning and working environment for all.
Internal vs. External
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application includes the following: Academic Application, Resume, Transcripts, EEO Statement, up to (3) current letters of recommendation and a Cover Letter/Letter of Interest.
To apply for an Equivalency, please download a Equivalency Determination Application, Equivalency Statement, and Procedure from YCCD’s website: www.yccd.edu/forms