Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at the LSC-System Office at 5000 Research Forest Drive. The Woodlands, Texas 77381.
The Public Safety Officer position provides a safe and secure environment for all employees and visitors at assigned location so faculty can focus on teaching and students can concentrate on learning. Provides general assistance (gives directions, answers questions, provides information…etc.) to faculty, staff, students and visitors and projects a positive image of LSC by maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor. Contributes to the overall safety and security of students, employees, visitors and LSC property by maintaining a uniformed presence. Requests assistance from LSC police officers for law enforcement matters, or off-campus police, fire, and EMS personnel as needed. Assists LSC Police Officers as directed within the scope of responsibility.
- Patrols campus grounds and buildings on foot or in vehicle; reports safety hazards and physical security deficiencies verbally and in writing. Walks through buildings monitoring the hallways with attention to classroom activity to create a comfortable and safe academic environment. Makes written reports regarding suspicious activities
- In conjunction with an LSC Police Officer, responds to medical assistance requests providing assistance to the Officer and/or leading the responding EMS personnel to the appropriate location
- Responds to low-risk calls for service to assess scene and determine the need for police, fire, or EMS response. Observes activities to determine if an offense is being committed or is about to be committed. Summons an officer, or uses own presence to diffuse an otherwise volatile situation if possible
- Responds to emergencies at various locations. This includes physical safety, medical situations, workplace hazardous conditions, 911 hang ups, and any other situation requiring immediate response
- Periodically tour parking lot to ensure safety of property. Renders vehicle services in the form of jump-starts, assistance with tire-changes, and the calling of wreckers as requested
- Monitors and responds to fire alarms, checks fire extinguishers while on patrol to ensure that they are in place and charged, and reports those that need maintenance
- Works fixed-post positions to provide security for buildings, special events, and reception areas as needed
- Enforces LSC and location regulations of a non-law enforcement nature (parking, smoking, etc.)
- Upon request, ensure faculty and staff have access to the facilities they need to perform their job. Locks/unlocks doors on a regular schedule and as requested by individuals (if appropriate)
- Provides general assistance to students, visitors, faculty and staff as needed. Answer questions from employees and visitors. If unable to give correct information, directs them to the proper person to answer their question
- Directs traffic and guests on events held at various locations
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to think and act quickly
- Skilled in conflict resolution and avoidance, and have exemplary public relations skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to meet the driving record criteria established by the LSCS
- Ability to make sound decisions based on good judgment on a frequent basis
- Ability to exercise self-restraint and maintain composure under pressure or adverse conditions
- Ability to operate with limited supervision and maintain efficient, self-directed job functions
- The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy items, such as typewriters and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as above average agility and dexterity.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter’s use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled