Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) Professional Tutor for English, Mathematics, or Chemistry
- Durham Technical Community College
- Location: Durham, North Carolina
- Category: Admin-Tutors and Learning Resources
- Posting Date: 04/05/2019
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job TitleCenter for Academic Excellence (CAE) Professional Tutor for English, Mathematics, or Chemistry
DepartmentStudent Engagement and Transitions
Master’s degree with at least 18 graduate credits in the subject to be tutored.
Work Experience: At least one year of related experience teaching or tutoring.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission and philosophy of the North Carolina Community College System;
2. Competence in oral and written communication skills necessary for effective tutoring;
3. Competence in computer technologies, such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation programs, and distance education technologies;
4. Sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students and colleagues;
5. Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations throughout the college and the community.
The Center for Academic Excellence Center (CAE) Professional Tutor will perform the following duties and hold the following responsibilities:
1. Tutor Durham Tech students referred from curriculum classes;
2. Meet with students in one-on-one, small group, drop-in, and/or classroom tutoring formats to support student learning;
3. Support, monitor, and assess students’ use of successful learning strategies;
4. Maintain accurate records of student use of tutorial centers as required for CAE data collection and reports;
5. Participate in tutor training sessions activities;
6. Abide by the CAE policies and procedures and communicate CAE policies and procedures to CAE visitors;
7. Abide by the Tutoring Code of Ethics and Guidelines;
8. Assist other CAE employees when needed;
9. Provide a student-centered, service-oriented, and professional atmosphere;
10. Assist with other CAE duties as needed, for example, creating and organizing materials, making recommendations on needed supplies or equipment, welcoming students and colleagues to the CAE, proctoring exams in the Make Up Testing Center, participating in CRLA and other related certification activities; and preparing reports;
11. Assume other necessary responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the CAE director or department Dean in meeting the needs of the program, department, division and the college.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
• Ability to lift at times 10-30 lbs.;
• Work outside office setting;
• Good eye/hand dexterity;
• Work requires fingering, grasping, and repetitive keyboarding motions;
• Vocal communications is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; and
• Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
Required Working HoursThe Center for Academic Excellence Professional Tutor is required to work an agreed-upon number of hours on a schedule determined by the CAE Director to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. The schedule may involve day, evening and weekend work.
Job TypePart Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.