Dean, School of Languages & Literature, Associate Professor/Professor of English
- Wayland Baptist University
- Location: Plainview, Texas
- Category: Executive-Dean-Liberal Arts
- Posting Date: 04/10/2019
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Academic School: Languages and Literature
Supervised By: Vice President Academic Affairs
Position Classification: Exempt (Administrative)
Positions Supervised: Faculty and Staff School of Languages and Literature
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Dean of the School of Languages and Literature teaches in and serves as academic administrator for the school by communicating and collaborating with administrators and faculty from diverse disciplines and campuses to assist students in academic and spiritual development, especially as each relates to the study of languages and literature.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
Prepare and teach (12) credit hours per academic year
Maintain regular office hours, M-F, approximately 8:15-5:00, most days of the workweek
Administer the daily functions of the School of Languages and Literature (L&L) across the main and 12 external campuses
Plan and manage budgets for the School of L&L
Hire, supervise, guide, and evaluate full-time School of L&L faculty and staff, plus adjuncts
Recruit, advise, and retain School of L&L and Undeclared students by attending scheduled recruitment events and addressing student concerns and appeals
Schedule School of L&L classes on the Plainview and WBUonline Campuses
Maintain School of L&L facilities, equipment, and supplies
Attend and participate in monthly Deans, Academic Council, Graduate Council, University Council, and other academic or ad hoc committee meetings as assigned
Prepare and submit required reports, such as the Planning, Budgeting, & Effectiveness Report (PBER), the annual budget, and the End-of-Year Report for Student Learning Outcomes (EOY/SLOs)
Develop a familiarity with and adhere to university policies and procedures related to academics and the School of L&L
Collect and prepare or review L&L faculty credentials as a part of the Evaluation of Faculty Qualifications (EFQ) process
Maintain a high level of confidentiality
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the President and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
A commitment to and an agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Ph.D. in English or a closely related field
Coursework or experience in teaching Medieval and early British literature is also preferred, but not required.
Experience and Knowledge - Successful applicants will have the following experience and knowledge:
1. Demonstrated experience in academic leadership or administration in higher education, (department chair, academic dean, etc.), as well as experience teaching or leading graduate and online programs
2. Commitment to Christian higher education, the purposes and philosophy of higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists, as well as an appreciation of Wayland’s mission, Christian ideals, and Baptist heritage
3. Basic understanding and support of diverse approaches to higher education, including traditional residential programs, adult degree-completion programs, online and distance learning programs, accelerated degrees, and international programs
4. Experience with teaching, scholarship, and service in higher education, with preference given to applicants with the above and one or more of the following qualifications:
a. coursework or experience in teaching Medieval literature, Renaissance literature, Shakespeare, and early British literature (pre-Victorian), particularly at the graduate level;
b. expertise in Medieval literature, Renaissance literature, Shakespeare, and/or early British literature (pre-Victorian)
Skills and Abilities - Successful applicants will have the following skills or abilities:
1. Excellent communication skills and flexible and collegial approach to working with others
2. Personal qualities of strong Christian faith and integrity, and a general spirit of collegiality
3. Proficiency operating personal computers and various software applications such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint, as well as willingness to learn to use BlackBoard, PowerCampus, ImageNow, and related programs
Wayland Baptist University is a liberal arts university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and WBUonline, and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a broad range of academic areas.
The School of Languages and Literature offers majors in English and Spanish, with English specializations available in American Literature, British Literature, and Professional Writing. Minors are offered in Chinese, English, German, Latin, Professional Writing, and Spanish. The school includes nine full-time faculty and one administrative assistant.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at about Wayland at http://wbu.edu .
Applications may be submitted online or may downloaded from this page -
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement consistent with Wayland's Christian mission
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter
3. Copies of transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic work
4. Three letters of reference.
Application material may be received electronically or in hard copy form.
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #689
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin April 10, 2019, and will continue until position is filled. The position begins fall 2019: https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/job-postings.htm