This position assists the Chief of Campus Police in general administration and general management of the A-B Tech College Police Department. Under the direction and in collaboration with the Chief of Police, the Assistant Chief exercises operational and supervisory authority. In the absence of the Chief of Police, assumes delegated duties.
1. Assists with management functions: planning and organizing the patrol and investigation operations; evaluates operational and employee performance; administers leadership skills to enhance employee performance, morale, and teamwork concepts; assists with employee recruitment, hiring and training. Maintains employee training records and certifications.
2. Assists in daily operations: manages and coordinates personnel and departmental functions, coordinates special events, manages vehicle and equipment operations and employee schedules.
3. Assists in Police/Security team efforts to serve the needs of the campus community including patrol, investigation and fulfilling patron’s needs, ensure understanding and commitment to emergency management and community policing principles.
4. Assists with administrative functions: Serve as departmental liaison with other agencies, project and/or event coordinator. Collaborate with College administration, faculty, staff, and students, surrounding law enforcement agencies and emergency response to emergencies and as a liaison to outside agencies
5. Enforcement of Laws, College Rules and Regulations: Performs the full range of Campus Police Officer duties as necessary.
6. Assists Safety Director and Risk Management Department with safety and health issues.
7. Remains on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week via college-provided cell phone.
8. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
9. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate’s degree;
2. Five years of full-time or equivalent experience in law enforcement;
3. NC Law Enforcement General Certification (other state General Certification is acceptable, however, must obtain NC General Certification within one year of start date);
4. Valid North Carolina driver license (or must obtain within 60 days of start date).
1. Five years of full-time or equivalent supervisory experience law enforcement;
2. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Special Instructions to Applicants
1. Upon submitting your on-line application, unofficial transcript must be uploaded to your application for the related degree(s) listed in the “Minimum Requirements” and/or “Preferred Qualifications” section of the job posting. The unofficial transcript must list the individual courses taken. Diplomas will not be considered in lieu of an unofficial transcript.
2. If the transcript required to be submitted at the time of application does not list the degree conferred or awarded, candidates invited to interview will be required to submit an unofficial transcript with this information two business days prior to the interview.
3. If selected for hire, official sealed transcripts from a regionally accredited institution are required to be received a minimum of two business weeks before the first day of work. Failure to comply may result in revocation of the job offer.
Posting Detail Information
Keep Open Until Filled
$46,512-$52,326; Total Compensation $65,983-$73,366