Position TitleSpecialist, Peer Mentor First Year Experience (Part Time)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Manager
DepartmentFirst Year Experience
Job CategoryPart-Time Staff - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Starting Salary$10.11 - $11.12
Job Open Date04/17/2019
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date04/23/2019
Assists the First-Year Experience staff with their efforts to increase the access and success of new Salt Lake Community College students.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Peer mentors support the transition of new students to SLCC, specifically first generation and underrepresented students who are involved in the Bruin Scholars cohort, a yearlong program designed for students to have a successful first year of college. All Bruin Scholars and peer mentors participate in a summer bridge program (i.e., Bridge to Success) before school begins, and in various activities throughout the school year.
Peer mentors will participate as a team member of the First Year Experience (FYE) office by:
• Assisting in the on-going development of the Bridge to Success and Bruin Scholars program, which includes:
o Continuous follow-up with students from the Summer Bridge program to assist them in locating needed resources; encouraging them to continuously enroll in school; directing them to an advisor for any academic concerns (e.g., academic alerts, degree plans, etc).
o Researching and creating activities to encourage learning and involvement in SLCC for Bruin Scholars.
• Assisting in recruitment efforts for the Bruin Scholars programs and be involved in the hiring of new peer mentors, when applicable.
• Being familiar with SLCC enrollment and registration processes
o Being able to articulate the purpose of SLCC’s general education classes and teach new students how to register for these classes
o Being familiar with Banner to locate needed information and assist the office with Orientation enrollment and holds.
• Participating in event planning and execution
• The ability to motivate and excite new students
• Creating a welcoming environment for new students
• Assisting FYE and other departments in outreach activities for new and first-year students
• Assisting FYE with New Student Orientations, this can include:
o Assisting students in the computer lab
o Clearing holds
o Understanding the Placement Process for math and English
o Going to different campuses
• Assisting FYE with Welcome Week activities, this can include:
o Tabling at events
o Going to different campuses
Preference will go to candidates who are:
B. Demonstrate strong communication and public speaking skills.
C. Professional in manner and appearance.
D. Are involved or familiar with SLCC clubs and organizations.
• Must have a 2.5 GPA or higher (3.0 or higher is preferred).
• Must be an SLCC current student or a recent SLCC graduate (i.e., within a year of graduation date).
• Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Communicate effectively (in writing and verbally) with a wide range of diverse individuals
• Demonstrate excellent customer services skills, cultural competencies, and sensibilities
• Work collaboratively with other office staff, a variety of campus departments and community personnel
• Gather, process, and organize large amounts of information accurately
• Utilize basic computer operating systems and SLCC’s computer systems (Banner, DegreeWorks)
• Demonstrate professionalism
• Knowledge of HB 144 and other Undocumented Student resources
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
• Part-time, 10-20 hours/week during non-bridge months; 15-25 hours/week during summer bridge months.
To be under consideration for this position, you must attach a resume at the time you apply. Applicants will not have an opportunity to attach this later.
*Multiple positions may be filled by this job posting.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.