Position TitleLibrarian, Outreach/Instruction
DepartmentLibrary and Learning Resources
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary RangeSalary commensurate with degree
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)Tenure Track
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
The Outreach/Instruction Librarian develops programs that increase awareness of library resources and services using traditional and creative methods. In conjunction with the college community, designs and coordinates outreach that infuses the library into campus life. Collaborates with the instruction/reference librarian to schedule and teach information literacy. Has primary responsibility for scheduling instruction and reference desk service and maintaining and reporting statistics. Duties also include reference desk service and liaison responsibilities to academic departments.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA accredited program. Degree awarded within the past five years OR recent continuing education and/or recent professional experience at a college or university using electronic databases, internet, computer, and web applications and technologies.
- Demonstrated experience marketing and developing programs for outreach in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated experience teaching research methods, strategies, and techniques using a variety of resources and technologies.
CRITERIA: The following criteria will be used to review the applications of those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and to select those who will be invited for an interview. Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview will be asked to demonstrate their teaching effectiveness in a simulated classroom, the conditions of which will be determined in advance and shared with all candidates prior to the interview. In addition to the criteria listed below, other information gained from and observations made during the interview process, including the review committee’s assessment of a simulated teaching performance, may be considered in selecting candidates to be recommended for appointment:
- Extent of relevant experience in a college or university library.
- Extent of experience marketing library resources and services through outreach programs.
- Extent of experience in information literacy instruction and knowledge of the ACRL standards/framework, instructional technologies, and assessment.
- Extent of experience working in a college or university library providing reference services, searching electronic databases and the Internet, using web and other technologies, and print resources.
- Extent of experience with scheduling.
- Extent of experience with keeping and reporting statistics.
- Full-time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 month, tenure-track faculty position.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours, as the teaching schedule requires.
- Documentation of experience and performance required by teaching a sample 20-30 minute information literacy lesson during the interview and providing proof of experience with Web and course management software.
- Ability to effectively communicate in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until FilledNo
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Documentation of experience and performance required.
- Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed for this position.
- Candidates will be asked to teach a sample 20-30 minute information literacy lesson during the interview and provide examples of instructional materials.
- Documentation of programming to reach out and market.
- Letters of reference must be job related and dated within the past three years.