Position TitleCustodian (Daytime Shift)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
Reports to (title)Facilities Supervisor
Job Open Date05/20/2019
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date05/28/2019
Cleans and maintains Salt Lake Community College facilities, to ensure acceptable and orderly levels for all classes, meetings and events.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Responsible for cleaning indoor/outdoor common areas: sidewalks, ramps, patios, entryways, atriums, stairways, elevators, hallways, and balconies. In these areas would include: Extract and detail carpets & upholstery. Strip and resurface hard floors. Responsible to sweep, mop, & vacuum. Empty trash, and ash urns, & clean garbage cans. Clean glass and doors & frames. Wipe down furniture. Clean & polish handrails, metal trim and drinking fountains. Dust & wash walls. Detail corners, edges, and baseboards. Dust & clean vents. Clean all light covers. Ensure that all lights are off and doors secured after completing cleaning duties. Report problems & damage. Responsible for cleaning classrooms & offices: Extract and detail carpets and upholstery. Polish doorknobs, frames, & kick plates. Wipe-down tables, desks, & chairs. Vacuum carpets & upholstery. Clean whiteboards and trays. Dust & clean vents. Wash windows & frames. Empty out trash & clean trashcan. Dust and wash walls, corners, edges, & baseboards. Clean all light covers. Report any problems & damage. Responsible for cleaning restrooms & locker rooms: Utilize advanced restroom restoration machines. Disinfect urinals, toilets, partitions, showers, sinks & countertops, lockers, & benches. Mop floors & clean and flush drains. Clean mirrors & frames. Vacuum floors. Dust & clean vents. Dust and wash walls, corners, edges, & baseboards. Clean all light covers. Replenish restroom supplies. Take-out trash & clean trashcan. Report any problems & damage. Put away supplies in custodial closets in an organized and clean manner. Clean & maintain custodial equipment. Request needed custodial supplies and restock supply closet. Respond to emergency calls and clean up after floods and spills by utilizing flood clean-up equipment. Assist in setting up furniture and equipment for special events as scheduled by the College. Responsible for snow removal and application of ice melt during the winter season. Clean and maintain custodial equipment used. Other duties as assigned.
• Two years post-high-school education or training.
• Six (6) months plus years of related experience.
• Carpet & Rug Institute certification
• ISSA Train the trainer certification
• Resilient floor care certification.
• High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
• Zero (0) to three (3) years related, full-time, paid work experience.
• Part-time direct work experience may be substituted for full-time work experience on a pro-rated basis.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to read, write, and communicate in English
• Ability to traverse across campuses and throughout buildings.
• Ability to position oneself accurately to clean and maintain facilities on SLCC campus such as navigating small spaces, ascending and descending ladders or pushing or utilizing all custodial equipment.
• Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions given by students, staff and faculty.
• Ability to pay attention to details and follow through with instructions given by students, staff and faculty.
• Demonstrate effective teamwork with students, staff and faculty.
• Apply team-cleaning concepts, understand, and follow job cards completely and efficiently.
• Computer skills such as, time keeping, and work order entry (sprocket system), Outlook, Microsoft word, and reading and responding quickly to emails, phone calls and texts.
• Knowledge of SDS (Safety Data Sheets) books, cleaning products and their proper methods of use.
• Ability to operate and maintain all custodial cleaning machines in addition to seasonal machines such as using snow blowers, and driving custodial trucks and ATVs.
• Time management skills: stay on task, take breaks and lunch on time, work with limited to no supervision.
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations pertaining to facilities custodial department.
• Great Attitude and easily directed.
• Ability to extract and detail carpets & upholstery.
• Ability to strip and resurface hard floors.
• Apply new custodial concepts as the custodial trade changes.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
• Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
• Please indicate on your resume if your work experience is full-time or part-time.
• More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/docs/benefits-summary-18-19.pdf
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.