Position TitleAccounting Technician 2
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
Reports to (title)Director of Purchasing and Accounts Payable
Position TypeNew position
Starting Salary$27,062.40 - $27,695.28
Job Open Date05/23/2019
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date05/29/2019
Under minimal supervision, provide technical/administrative support to the Purchasing and Accounts Payable department and Controller’s Office by performing the following tasks: 1) provide customer service for both college departments and vendors; 2) provide assistance, guidance, and training to college staff and vendors; 3) maintain vendor files; 4) review and resolve invoice matching exceptions; 5) enter journal entries; 6) manage department files and records; 7) upload data and run posting processes related to mass journal entries, interdepartmental billing, Visa/P-card bank transactions, and other assigned processes; and 8) other duties as assigned.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Perform general administrative support duties, including: serve incoming walk-in, phone, and email customers; receipt and distribution of incoming and out-going mail; and prepare and work reports. Provide technical and administrative support to the Purchasing and Accounts Payable department, including provide word-processing and spreadsheet preparation support to Buyers and prepare written correspondence. Provide assistance, guidance and training to college staff and vendors regarding purchasing policies, procedures, and practices. This includes providing the status of orders/payments, assisting College staff enter orders/requisitions, and providing overall customer support to college staff, vendors, and the general public for Purchasing and Accounts Payable. Maintain vendor files, including establishing and maintaining vendors in vendor file, ensuring that vendor naming conventions are adhered to for accuracy and consistency, determine Federal 1099 reporting requirements, and determining and setting up the preferred payment method (ACH, single use card, or check). Review and resolve invoice matching exceptions, including coordinating with departments to gather and enter receiving information for orders not delivered through Central Receiving. Enter general journal entries, cash receipt journal entries, and cash disbursement journal entries. Upload data and run posting processes related to mass journal entries, interdepartmental billing, Visa/P-card bank transactions, and other assigned processes. Manage all department files and records using the College’s Document Imaging and Management System. Ensure that all documents are scanned and accurately indexed in the database. Retrieve paper or electronic files upon request. Other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of Banner Finance software
• Knowledge of Jaggaer software
• College/university work experience
• Associates degree in a business-related field
• One (1) to three (3) years of work experience in a business field
• Trade off 1:1 in experience/education requirement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of general office procedures and ability to operate basic office equipment.
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles and practices.
• Knowledge of basic accounting elements related to a chart of accounts.
• Customer service skills.
• Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Record keeping techniques and organizational skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Skill in communicating both orally and in writing and in providing information and training to staff, vendors, or the general public.
• Ability to learn new software quickly and efficiently.
• Ability to perform a variety of administrative duties with minimum or no supervision.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Ability to work with vendors and College staff with diplomacy, tactfulness, and fairness and resolve discrepancies/conflicts in a professional manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
• Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
• Please indicate on your resume if your work experience is full-time or part-time.
• More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/docs/benefits-summary-18-19.pdf
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.