Job TitleAdjunct Instructor, Cake Decorating/Bake Shop
DepartmentContinuing Education Department
T• 3 year or more experience in cake decorating/bakeshop as a business or as an employee of a bakery or store that prepares baked goods.
• Prior teaching or training experience with adult learners
• Experience using cake decorating methods such as Wilton or other professional methods
• Bilingual in Spanish and English would be a plus but not mandatory
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communications/public relation skills.
• Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
• Handle student concerns in an appropriate and approved manner.
• Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action.
• Ability to make presentations in the classroom.
• Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
• Attention to detail, reliable, punctual, and dependable when meeting with staff/students.
The adjunct instructor for cake decorating/bakeshop classes is responsible for providing thorough, meaningful, and measurable instruction for adult learners interested in cake decorating/bakeshop classes. The instructor will provide students fundamental skills and knowledge to perform cake decorations using various methods, including but not limited to usage of icing and fillings, hard candies and piping bags, and spatulas in order to achieve the desired décor effect.
• Provide quality instruction at all times to adult students, teaching classes for the entire class period and properly covering the curriculum and outline for cake decorating/bakeshop classes.
• Maintain accurate student and course records;
• Provide input to the Director regarding student outcomes;
• Enforce academic policy and procedures at all times;
• Report to the Director any issues, concerns, or problems as it relates to the curriculum, instruction or student conduct/behavior.
• Represent the college in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
· Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time
· Ability to lift, at time, up to 20 lbs.
· Good hand/eye dexterity
Required Working HoursThis position may be required to work a maximum of a 16-hour work week as determined with the director to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities. Hours may include evening and/or weekend.
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.