Job TitleFirst-Year Experience Assistant (Work Study)
DepartmentStudent Engagement and Transitions
1. The student must be eligible to receive Federal Work Study funds and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
2. Student must be actively pursuing the completion of a credential at Durham Tech.
3. The student must have successfully completed the ACA 122 course with a grade of C or better.
4. The student must have successfully completed DRE-098 or meet pre-requisites to register for college-level English courses.
1. Prior experience in clerical support and customer service preferred.
2. Basic desktop support skills preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. The student should be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software.
2. The student should possess effective communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
3. The student should be dependable, motivated, trustworthy, punctual and cooperative with an enthusiastic attitude.
4. The student should have the ability to follow tasks through to completion with minimal supervision.
5. The student should have the ability to be organized, accurate, and punctual with paperwork and assigned tasks.
6. The student should have the ability to effectively communicate progress on tasks with staff and supervisor.
7. The student should have the ability to thrive in a team atmosphere.
8. The student should have the ability to maintain confidentiality
1. Assisting the Chair, First-Year Experience, in preparation of FYE events and workshops.
2. Printing and copying materials in preparation for ConnectSession new student orientations.
3. Assisting with set-up and break-down of the ConnectSessions.
4. Signing in students at the ConnectSessions.
5. Presenting a prepared brief tutorial on WebAdvisor, ConnectMail, and Self-Service to new students.
6. Maintaining adequate levels of materials and supplies for future ConnectSessions.
7. Using college computer systems for data entry.
8. Maintaining accurate records of student attendance at ConnectSessions.
9. Assisting students one-on-one with Durham Tech account set-up.
10. Reporting account set-up errors to ITS using form provided.
11. Assisting chair with workshop promotion: photocopying and posting fliers around campus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, up to 20 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity
Required Working HoursTo be determined by the Chair of the department. Could work up to 20 hours per week.
Hiring Range$8.50-$10.00 an hour
Job TypeWork Study
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.