Job TitleStudent Communication Assistant- Call Center / Wynn Center Front Desk (Work Study)
DepartmentMarketing and Communications
1. The student must be eligible to receive Durham ConnectFunds and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
2. The student must have successfully completed the ACA 122 course, with a grade of C or better, or meet the ACA exemption by having completed at least 12 credit hours of college coursework.
3. The student must have successfully completed DRE-098, be currently enrolled in this course, or meet pre-requisites to register for college-level English courses.
4. The student must earn and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher preferred.
5. The student must possess superior communication skills, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
6. The student must be prompt and dependable every day, as the Connect Center and Wynn Welcome Desk must be continuously staffed during published hours of operation.
The student should have prior customer service experience, preferably in an office setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The student needs to be comfortable and capable of having typed and verbal conversations with strangers all day long.
The student must be comfortable as an active part of a team, as this office relies heavily on each other for success.
The student will assist our (internal and external) campus community through phone calls, emails, live chats and in person. The student will also provide campus tours for prospective students.
1. Creating a welcoming environment by appropriately acknowledging and greeting callers and walk-in customers with a smile.
2. Promptly answering calls in a personable and professional manner.
3. Answering all questions related to college services, as well as questions related to Durham Tech procedures, programs, deadlines and terminology.
4. Asking probing questions to ensure that we are properly assisting callers and walk-in customers, providing complete and accurate information, and using proper referral sources as appropriate.
5. Making callbacks to those that have left voicemail with questions. Responding to emails or other forms of correspondence as appropriate.
6. Assisting students with set-up of student ConnectMail, WebAdvisor and Self Service accounts.
7. Conducting campus tours for prospective students.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, up to 30 lbs.
• Work outside office setting.
Required Working HoursFlexibility to work a continuous 3-5 hour shift per day, for a total of 20-25 hours per week.
Hiring Range$11.00 per Hour
Job TypeWork Study
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.