Job TitleAdjunct Instructor, Molecular Biology
DepartmentContinuing Education Department
Bachelors or a Master’s degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in and a combination of Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or in life science from a regionally accredited institution with at least 3-5 years of recent lab industry experience.
Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology or Molecular Biology or in life science from a regionally accredited institution with 1-2 years of recent lab industry experience. Experience with Cleanroom Gowning, GMP, and SOP writing
1. Must have 2-3 years of recent lab work experience in the Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical/ Biotech industry.
2. Must have 2-3 years of experience in a GMP or FDA environment. Must be familiar with FDA regulations.
3. Experience with Teaching, and Training in a post-secondary setting.
4. Creating and delivering training curriculum and current biotechnology practices.
5. A passion for student learning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills.
2. Effective oral and written communication/public relation skills.
3. Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
4. Exceptional organizational and time management skills
5. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
6. Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action.
7. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching, and instruction for individuals and groups and the measurement of training effects.
8. Ability to select training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts
9. Ability to make presentations to large audiences.
10. Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
11. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
12. Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
1. Instructs and guides the class in an efficient and effective manner;
2. Maintains accurate records of student work and attendance
3. Prepares thoroughly for each instructional hour; develops short courses and training modules in areas of expertise in biotechnology and pharmaceutical; constructs classroom materials that support the goals of the course.
4. Maintains a safe and orderly learning environment
5. Stays abreast of most current teaching methods and technology in the classroom
6. Uses assessment techniques to improve learning and teaching
7. Maintains currency in field of expertise, in training and instructional development, and in course delivery to ensure best practices in designing and delivering education and training
8. Monitors biomanufacturing industry trends and benchmark practices in other states and countries
9. Develops reports related to established metrics that assess the effectiveness of our programs and to gauge the needs of the industry sector
10. Maintains effective working relationships with industry representatives, community college staff, and the general public
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working Hours: Part- time position, may need to teach mornings, evenings and weekends. Weekly hours will not exceed 24 hours. May need to attend 2 or 3 unpaid staff meetings per year.
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.