Job TitleAdjunct English for Academic Purposes
DepartmentEnglish for Academic Purposes
Masters Degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or in a related field; Masters Degree in unrelated field with TESOL certification and/or Work Experience: A minimum of three years teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language to adults or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Familiarity with hybrid model of language teaching that includes ability to use Sakai (or experience with a related online classroom platform, such as Moodle or Blackboard).
The Adjunct Instructor is responsible for course preparation, delivery, grading, and records management. The Instructor will work closely with his or her Discipline Chair on matters related to and for the benefit of the EAP department and its students. More specifically, and consistent with the terms and conditions of appointment as stipulated in the contract of employment, the Adjunct Instructor is accountable for the duties listed below:
1. Teach all courses, as assigned, for the full duration of scheduled instruction.
2. Be fully prepared with a syllabus and instructional plans for each class session in accord with the stated objectives of the course.
3. Enforce academic policy and procedures at all times, and comply with institutional rules and regulations.
4. Maintain complete course and student records, reports, and forms.
5. Stay current with developments in the field of instruction.
6. Assume other necessary responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the chair, department dean, chief instructional officer, or president, in meeting the needs of the department, division, and college.
7. Assume responsibility for laboratory/classroom preparation, including maintenance and cleanup, and recommend, as necessary, appropriate laboratory supplies and equipment.
8. Maintain a student-centered teaching/learning environment in class structure and content.
The physical demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.; and
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working HoursPublished meeting times, preparation, and grading for contracted courses.
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.