Job TitleAdjunct Instructor, Esthetic Technology
DepartmentContinuing Education Department
1. Must be licensed with the NC State Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners. This includes a license to practice cosmetic art plus a license to teach cosmetic art.
2. Must have experience working in a salon or educational setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
2. Ability meet deadlines.
3. Willing to follow established procedures and policies.
4. Ability to make presentations to large audiences.
5. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
6. Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
7. Must be licensed with the NC State Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners. This includes a license to practice cosmetic art plus a license to teach cosmetic art.
8. Must have experience working in a salon or educational setting.
The esthetician instructor will be responsible for teaching the theory and practice of esthetics for those who wish to become certified estheticians. This position will train students to apply makeup, perform facials, tweeze and wax unwanted hair, and give body treatments in preparation for the certification exam.
1. To prepare student for the esthetician certification exam.
2. Teach and demonstrate proper hygiene, sanitations and safety practices required for successful esthetics practice.
3. Maintains attendance roster and state board attendance record.
4. Follow the syllabus and outline to teach subject material to students
5. Maintain student performance records in notebook and the database system to include grading of performances.
6. Successfully demonstrate techniques on live models and volunteers.
7. Ensure students are maintaining clinic appearances and cleanliness.
8. Uphold the standards of sanitation and sterilization as directed by NC State Board of Cosmetic Art.
9. Attend non-paid staff meetings as needed.
10. Ensure that linens used in the clinic are washed and folded.
11. Schedule computer lab with appropriate DTCC staff for computer activities
12. Maintain services performed in the clinic by way of database and excel spreadsheet.
13. Complete appropriate forms for field trips, guest speakers, and requests for substitute and submit to coordinator 3 days prior to the event
14. Must complete and turn in lesson plans to coordinator prior to instruction.
15. Arrive at least 15 minutes early to ensure you are properly prepared for class.
16. Give program assistant a list of items you notice the dispensary is running low on. There needs to be a two month supply of all items at all time.
17. Must represent the college and the Continuing Education Department in a positive and professional manner.
18. All responsibilities and requirements stated are essential job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the staff occupying this position. This position may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by coordinator.
19. Turn in all class paperwork immediately following the last day of your class.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.