Job Posting TitleStudent Personnel Assistant - Career & Job Opportunity Services (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.
Under general supervision of assigned manager/supervisor, provides students with career and job opportunity services, and serves as liaison with public and private sector employers. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) posting click on the “Job Description” link on the left side of your screen, then click on “Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) Job Descriptions”.]
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation
● Assists students in developing their educational and vocational objectives; refers qualified students to employers or employment services for placement; and conducts follow-up interviews with students.
● Orients students, individually or in groups, to available resources.
● Provides one-on-one student assistance with mock interviews, resume critiques, job searches, and using the Internet; and maintains confidentiality of information and materials.
● Assists in creating an aesthetic, warm atmosphere of acceptance; operates, maintains, and instructs large and small groups in the use and orientation of resources/equipment
● Presents workshops on career preparation topics; and administers computerized vocational interest inventories and career planning assessments.
● Researches and serves as liaison for administration of CalWORKS services when necessary.
● Oversees, trains, hires, and dismisses student assistants.
● Assists counselors and faculty with career education activities.
● Collects and evaluates information about students’ abilities, interests, and personality characteristics, using records, tests, and interviews.
● Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist students in making and carrying out vocational and educational objectives.
● Provides vocational and educational guidance training for students; and establishes and maintains relationships with employers and personnel from support service agencies to develop opportunities for students.
● Responsible for advertising the resources and programs provided including bulletin announcements, newsletters, flyers, handouts, display racks, and other visual displays, and assists with the development of the master calendar of events.
●Orders, reviews, catalogs, inventories, maintains materials, and prepares and updates lists of information and resources available.
● Creates, modifies, and maintains reports, records and forms used.
● Develops and maintains a database to track appointments; and develops and updates an employer database.
● Addresses community groups and faculty members to explain career services.
● Coordinates career fairs and other career-related events.
● Attends appropriate conferences, workshops and staff meetings as assigned.
● Performs related duties as required.
Workability III Program
For assignments within the Workability III Program, Student Personnel Assistant may also:
● Assist Workability III Counselor/Coordinator in educating students and clients on the skills needed to obtain and retain gainful employment; and informs students, clients, and college personnel of present and future employment opportunities.
● Interprets program regulations or benefit requirements to assist students in obtaining needed supportive services.
● Maintains student and client files, employer job files, and statistics of placement activities; and refers qualified students to employers or employment services for placement, including work study and student help positions.
● Works in cooperation with counselors, instructors, disability, and Learning Disability campus resources and/or other appropriate college staff.
To be determined.
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.
EXPERIENCE: Two years in job placement, career planning or student personnel services, preferably in an educational or community college setting OR two years experience in employment development at a community-based organization. (One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement.)
EDUCATION: Completion of an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester units (90 quarter units). NOTE: An additional year of qualifying experience may be substituted for up to one year of college education.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: one year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
1. A completed LRCCD Classified Application (required).
2. *Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
3. Resume (recommended).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Salary$16.00 per hour LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.