Job Posting TitleStudent Personnel Assistant - TANF (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.
Under general supervision of assigned manager/supervisor, assists coordination of case management activities for TANF/CalWORKs students. Coordinates delivery of services designed to help CalWORKs students succeed in college vocational training and work study programs that lead to employment. Serves as a resource person to students, the public, nonprofit agencies, educational institutions, and college staff.
For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) position Job Descriptions click here
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation
● Coordinates college activities designed to assist TANF students to enter the workforce and improve career options, including presenting workshops on interviewing, resume and portfolio development, job search skills and Internet use.
● Interprets program regulations or benefit requirements and assists students in obtaining needed supportive services; provides information for TANF recipients regarding community resources and referrals, present and future employment opportunities, and types of occupations and industries in demand in the local labor market.
● Provides direct services to TANF students in coordination with county welfare departments, outside agencies, and college resources to assist students in successful completion of college training and work study programs leading to employment; and coordinates contacts with employers by assisting with job/internship development and maintaining the Job Track database.
● Orients students, individually or in groups, to the Center and its resources.
● Monitors the use of the Center; develops and implements a Student Peer Advisor Program for TANF students; and follows up on job placement and school status of TANF students and graduates including dropouts.
● Works in cooperation with counselors, instructors, college nurses, and/or other appropriate college staff when TANF students have special employment problems.
● Identifies potential barriers to self-sufficiency.
● Presents the CalWORKS program and opportunities; and maintains confidentiality of information and materials.
● Serves as resource person for staff and students and answers routine questions regarding program requirements.
● Advises students to assist them in their development of educational and vocational objectives.
● Oversees and/or acts as a lead for work study positions, student workers, and staff, and assigns work.
● Assists with advertising the Center and its programs through bulletin announcements, newsletters, mass mailings, display racks and other visual displays; and assists with the development of the master calendar of Center events.
● Perform general office duties and schedules appointments.
● Assists with the development of a database to provide accountability for TANF job-related activities; and records and coordinates case management/documentation, maintains case records; and prepares periodic reports.
● Assists in creating an aesthetic, warm atmosphere of acceptance in the Center.
● Attend appropriate conferences, workshops and staff meetings as assigned.
● Addresses community groups and faculty members to explain services provided to TANF students.
● Performs related duties as required.
To be determined.
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation.
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience in case management, preferably with TANF/CalWORKs population; experience in development and facilitation of life-skill workshops leading to employment and self-sufficiency.
EDUCATION: Completion of an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester units (90 quarter units) with an emphasis in social science or related field. NOTE: An additional year of qualifying experience may be substituted for up to one year of college education.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. *Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
3. Resume (recommended).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Salary$16.00 per hour LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.