Job Posting TitleInstructional Assistant - STEM SESI Project (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.
An experienced Instructional Assistant who, with minimal supervision of the assigned manager/supervisor, assists faculty by working with students individually or in groups in the improvement of academic knowledge and technical skill; trains and oversees the work of three or more regular Instructional Assistants.
For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) position Job Descriptions click here
Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation.
• Confers and assists in monitoring and evaluating, with instructors and/or lab coordinators on student progress, class procedures, and instructional methods.
• Assists instructors by tutoring students individually and in groups in designated skill areas (areas include Writing, English and Reading) for understanding and acquisition of skills, in concept understanding, and facilitate comprehension.
• Assists faculty and staff with student conferences and laboratory or field research.
• Assists in coordination and operation of the laboratories; developing training materials, including syllabi and visual aids.
• Trains students in the use of instructional equipment and appropriate tutoring and/or learning methods and procedures.
• Clarifies and certifies completion of instructors’ assignments.
• Administers skill and knowledge tests.
• Proctors examinations; and grades, records, and files test results in accordance with specific instructions. Assists in preparing instructional modules or portions of modules according to instructor guidelines; and at instructor request, critiques and previews modules to give feedback as to how they work with students. Conducts small and large groups/workshops.
• Oversees students working with computer instructional software with reading, writing and math components.
• Gives students instruction on computers and non-computer portions of modules.
• Maintains student attendance and scholastic records and files for materials.
• Oversees student workers, including scheduling, timesheets, attendance and assigning of tutors.
• Helps instructors assess and place students; and screens students for writing and reading disabilities.
• Helps develop, locate, operate and maintain records and files of: student portfolios, test scores, follow-up, instructional materials, resource materials, equipment, and supplies.
• Sets up and operates audiovisual equipment.
• Assembles and copies instructional materials according to instructors’ guidelines.
• Serves on committees as assigned; and presents Laboratory benefits to various classes.
• Uses computers for instruction, testing, word processing, and record keeping.
• Assists in recruiting and training student tutors under supervision of instructor.
• Performs related duties as required.
To be determined by campus.
NOTE: This is a Temporary classified position. Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation.
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determinied by campus.
EXPERIENCE: One year of tutoring, instructional or work experience related to writing, English or reading.
EDUCATION: Completion of an Associate’s Degree in English or 60 semester units (90 quarter units) with 24 units in English courses.
Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
(One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement.)
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. *Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
3. Resume (recommended).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended – Maximum).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Salary$14.93 per hour
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.