Position TitleFull Time Music Faculty
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary RangeSALARY COMMENSURATE WITH DEGREE AND EXPERIENCE
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)Fixed Term
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
Faculty Position of Music Theory
Full-time, Fixed Term Faculty
- Master’s degree in Music Theory.
- A minimum of five years of teaching experience in a college setting, preferred.
The following criteria will be used to review the applications of those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and to select those who will be invited for an interview. Candidates for teaching position who are invited for an interview will be asked to demonstrate their music theory teaching effectiveness in a simulated classroom, laboratory, or other relevant pedagogical situation, the subject matter of which will be determined in advance and shared with all candidates prior to interview. Candidates will all be asked to demonstrate musical performance skills on their particular instruments by performing a solo composition of their choice. Observations made during the interview process, including the review committee’s assessment of a simulated teaching performance, will be considered in selecting candidates to be recommended for appointment.
- Relevance of graduate education preparation to the broad range of anticipated teaching assignments found in a community college music curriculum.
- Relevance of teaching experience to the broad range of anticipated teaching assignments found in a community college music curriculum, to include music theory, music appreciation, and music literature courses.
- Evidence of ability to teach Music Theory courses as found in the music program curriculum.
- Relevance of non-teaching experience to the broad range of anticipated teaching assignments found in a community college music curriculum.
- Evidence of quality teaching, including faculty evaluation scores and ratings, teaching awards earned, courses designed, developed, and/or revised, etc.
- Relevance of teaching experience in employing instructional methods and techniques that include interdisciplinary teaching and other approaches appropriate to different learning styles.
- Evidence of currency in professional discipline through continuing education, professional development, and/or scholarly activity.
- Evidence of readiness to teach effectively within, and contribute positively to, a diverse multi-ethnic, multi-cultural student population and campus environment with widespread student ages and backgrounds.
- Evidence of ability to assume responsibilities beyond the required classroom and office hours, in the area of music and administrative duties.
- Ability to remain current with Music Theory.
- Degree from an accredited institution.
Documentation of experience and performance required.
- Unofficial transcripts must accompany applications for teaching positions. Before an applicant can be recommended for hire, he/she must have an unofficial transcript on file with the college. Official transcripts of academic work required upon an offer of employment.
- Letters of reference must be job related and dated within the past three years. At least three letters should be included with the application.
- Ability to effectively communicate in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1985 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a United States citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Selected candidates invited for an interview will be asked to provide a 10-15 minute teaching demonstration provide 1-3 minute musical performance solo.
Submit a cover letter of interest, a detailed resume/cv listing qualifications, and experience. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum qualification and criteria listed because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview will be asked to do a teaching demonstration.
Background screening may be required.