Position TitleDepartment Chair of Nursing
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary RangeSALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)Tenure Track
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
The Department Chair of Nursing plays a critical role in the academic life of the College and is responsible for carrying out the College’s vision and mission as they relate specifically to teaching, learning, and student success. Reporting to the Dean of the Health, Wellness, and Hospitality Division, the department chair is responsible for creating an environment conducive to collegiality, learning, and developing and implementing instructional strategies that support institutional goals and student aspirations. The Chair engages faculty and other internal and external stakeholders to: (1) develop, expand, and continuously improve high quality programs within the division, designed to address community needs; (2) encourage innovation and creativity in teaching and learning; (3) promote and encourage application of new and relevant knowledge within the departmental disciplines; (4) work collegially with the Health, Wellness, and Hospitality Dean and Associate Dean to ensure student progression, retention and completion within the academic programs within the department; (5) actively promote and advocate for College’s implementation of guided pathways; and (6) support the development of stackable credentials and degrees that provide seamless articulation with secondary and postsecondary partners as well as the College’s noncredit programs and offerings.
- Full-time faculty member at the rank of Associate Professor (or equivalent) or higher with teaching experience in Nursing.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Nursing; doctoral degree preferred.
- Academic preparation in administration. Previous administrative, supervisory, and/or leadership experience preferred.
- Current license as a registered nurse in Maryland.
CRITERIA:The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Please ensure that your application and attached documents address the criteria listed below:
- Previous experience and ability to effectively and consistently lead and motivate others.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse multi-ethnic and multi-cultural community.
- Effective and consistent organizational, conflict resolution, and management skills
- Proven teaching success in higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge and achievement in curriculum and program development and management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the College’s organization, goals, objective, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from students, faculty, staff, regulatory agencies, or members of the community.
- Ability to establish priorities and make difficult choices among competing demands.
- Ability to make decisions in a consultative and informed manner.
- Skill in budget preparation and management.
- Ability to write and implement grants.
- Degree from an accredited institution. (Unofficial transcripts must accompany application; official transcripts are required upon offer of employment).
- Letters of reference (job related and dated within the past three years).
- Documentation of experience and performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until FilledYes