Job Posting TitleHealth Information Technology (HIT) Assistant Professor (Extended)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (Cosumnes River College)
Department LocationCareers and Technology
Cosumnes River College (CRC) values diversity, focuses on creativity and personal enrichment, and empowers students to reach their full potential as informed and productive members of the community.
CRC is a leader in innovative ideas and sustainable values. One of the four colleges of the Los Rios Community College District, Cosumnes River College seeks candidates who are knowledgeable about the impact of implicit bias in teaching and learning, and who implement culturally responsive teaching techniques and effective practices for engaging students.
Serving south Sacramento County and Elk Grove since 1970, CRC’s main campus and its Elk Grove center provide a dynamic learning environment for more than 14,000 ethnically and racially diverse students. One of the top 10 most diverse 2-year public colleges in the nation (noted in the Almanac of Higher Education, Fall 2015), CRC is a student-centered, open-access community college dedicated to preparing students for an ever-changing future.
CRC awards Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, Associate degrees for Transfer, Career Education certificates, and transfer credit for students who intend to continue their education at a four year college or university. Our 200+ programs include automotive technology, radio, television and film, allied heath, veterinary technology, and architecture and design technology, among others.
With a focus on improving completion outcomes for all students, programs like Umoja, the Puente project, and DIOP Scholars and Native American Higher Ed Resources, look to increase the number of Latinx, African-American, and Native American students who complete a degree, certificate and/or transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
Student support services and programs including CARE, EOPS, Enriched Scholars, and First-Year Experience enhance the ability of all students to complete college. CRC is recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and as an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
CRC strives to be an exemplary and innovative community college that empowers students and employees to strengthen the cultural, social, economic, and environmental well-being of their communities.
The faculty member shall be responsible for the following: teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the area dean; helping students fulfill their maximum potential in mastering course content; assessing student learning outcomes; maintaining a thorough and up-to-date knowledge in his/her regular teaching field; continuing professional development; utilizing current technology in the performance of job duties; maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics; assisting with articulation and curriculum development, revision, and review; serving on college committees and participating in faculty governance including accreditation and student co-curricular activities; assuming other responsibilities as assigned by the area dean; fulfilling other duties and responsibilities of a full-time faculty as outlined in the college faculty handbook.
Cosumnes River College is seeking a student centered Assistant Professor for the Health Information Technology (HIT) Program. The HIT Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
The Health Information Technology Program is an online program. However, the instructional assignment will include online and face-to-face assignment teaching Allied Health courses.
The department maintains a focus on:
• Innovative distance education teaching strategies, infused into on-line courses.
• Utilizing culturally proficient pedagogy.
• Student-centered teaching.
Position Salary Information:
Initial maximum salary placement is based on academic degree, upper/graduate level units earned, and/or related professional occupational experience per the Los Rios College Federation of Teachers (LRCFT) contract Article 2 (The initial maximum placement is Class V, Step 8).
Under the supervision of the area dean, the Health Information Technology (HIT) Assistant Professor’s duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Assisting the Program Director with accreditation process, documentation and records.
• Engaging with the industry advisory committee to assure the curriculum meets the needs of industry, accreditation, and the community.
• Supporting an equity-minded college community.
• Supporting student success, student career employment and job placements.
• Completing program review.
• Holding a minimum of three out of five office hours per week on campus.
• Attending technical training, workshops, and conferences and applying the knowledge to teaching.
The assignment may include face-to-face day, evening courses, on-line, hybrid, weekend, and/or off-campus classes.
Work Year164 days
1. Have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution completed by August 1, 2019 AND two years of occupational and/or professional experience directly related to the assignment being taught; OR, the equivalent* OR, hold a California Community College Instructor’s Credential.
2. Hold and maintain a valid Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certificate or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certificate.
3. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
● Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must attach details and explain how their academic preparation and/or professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees listed above.
● If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications listed above, you are requested to submit this equivalency statement.
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Faculty application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
3. Letter of Interest
4. Two letters of recommendation (If using Interfolio please send attachments to HR@losrios.edu)
5. Letter of Interest
6. Copy of valid Registered Heath Information Technician (RHIT) certificate or Registered Heath Information Administrator (RHIA) certificate.
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position)
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Salary$41,823 to $77,043 annually. Additional earnings may be available for summer, overloads, and stipends. LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationEntering annual salary within a given range varies, depending upon units/degrees completed at accredited colleges/universities and experience.
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-Time, Tenure-Track Position
Beginning on or about August 22, 2019.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Administrative/Executive/Faculty Positions: Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for an interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here