Job TitlePayroll/Systems Accountant ( Internal Candidates Only)
Associate Degree required
Work Experience: Four years of payroll and finance system work experience and four years of colleague work experience required. Must have experience in reviewing and evaluating financial systems, practices and procedures.
Bachelor Degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. High degree of professionalism
2. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relation skills
3. Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
4. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
5. Working knowledge of payroll best practices.
6. Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations.
7. Working knowledge of finance systems (payroll, accounts receivable, account payable) and best practices
8. Ability to collaborate and train other finance staff
9. Strong work ethic and team player
10. Ability to communicate with various levels of management.
11. Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
12. Organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills
13. Excellent computer skills as evidenced by experience with at least one data analysis/business intelligence software product and competence with Microsoft Office products, including Excel and Word.
14. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
15. Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college
1. Perform daily payroll department operations
2. Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely
3. Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports
4. Manage and reconcile payroll reports for employee benefits to benefit invoices
5. Process correct garnishment calculations and compliance
6. Process accurate and timely quarterly and year-end reporting (W-2, W-2c, Federal, state tax reporting, etc)
7. Develop ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed
8. Process manual payroll checks
9. Process State Health Plan invoice billing, enrollment and reconciliation
10. Process the monthly Orbit NC state retirement file
11. Manage earning types and leave plans for payroll processing
12. Purge payroll remittances on a quarterly basis
13. Maintains payroll and related records recording the accumulation and use of vacations, holidays, sick days, and miscellaneous leaves of absence.
14. Administer a variety of voluntary deductions such as United Way contributions, 401(k) plan contributions and disbursements
15. Responsible for all payroll tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and filing local, state, and federal payroll tax returns.
16. Research laws and regulations regarding taxes and payroll withholding procedures
17. Process employee advances and paybacks
18. Process and close periodic payrolls
19. Print and issue paychecks
20. Process direct deposit payments
21. Calculate and deposit payroll taxes
22. Completes and files Bureau Census reports
23. Maintains files for Worker’s Compensation audits
24. Proactively examining processes and seeking ways to improve, automate or otherwise extract efficiencies
25. Troubleshooting and fixing finance related system issues
26. Training and supporting finance team members in the use of financial systems and procedures
27. Ensure all policies and procedures are up to date within the finance area.
28. Designing and implementing internal system controls (preventative and detective) to provide quality assurance over financial data
29. Reviewing and maintaining all financial systems policies and procedures
30. Reviewing systems performance and identifying system issues
31. Support project teams to implement new and existing systems
32. Managing system upgrades with the IT department
33. Collaborating with IT and financial staff to meet business requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity
Required Working HoursA minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four-and-one-half
Hiring Range$55,000 - $62,000
Job TypeFull Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.