Position TitlePolice Sergeant
DepartmentCollege Police and Emergency Management
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary Range$55,307-$60,837/Annually
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision of a Police Lieutenant, performs specialized work in protecting life and property, enforcing violations of criminal laws, and enforcing the rules and regulations of the college. Responsible for directing the activities of police patrol squad, administrative and criminal investigations, training and /or the performance of special service or duties, consistently monitor the overall job performance of police personnel to ensure adherence to College and department policy and procedures.
- Must have five years of full time responsible experience as a certified police officer with at least one year of supervisory experience with a law enforcement agency.
- Associates Degree, or any combination of education, training and experience, which would produce the required competencies for the position.
The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Please ensure that your application and attached documents address the criteria listed below:
- Serves as shift supervisor and conducts roll calls at the beginning of the shift
- Inspects Police Officers for appearance
- Plans, schedules, supervises, reviews and evaluates work of subordinates
- Document and submit attendance, leave and other administrative records and reports as required.
- Patrols the campus to preserve order.
- Observe, supervise and instruct subordinate officers.
- Evaluates and provides quality control of incident reports.
- Responds to calls for service.
- Supervises Crime Prevention activities.
- Assists Police Officers during investigations and at crime scenes and ensures applicable regulations and procedures are followed.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations and issues citations and warnings.
- Conducts investigations and make arrests as necessary.
- Presents oral testimony in court.
- Organizes personnel and equipment to respond to the scene of emergencies and disturbances.
- Interacts with members of the College community.
- Provides assistance and advice to students, faculty, staff and visitors on campus security regulations and procedures.
- Participates in special events and details such as transporting victim/witnesses, college officials.
- Provides information and/or assistance to the public, victims, and witnesses concerning available services provided by the College and college police.
- Reports the existence of dangerous or defective conditions to the appropriate college departments.
- Provides answers in response to inquiries received concerning campus activities/events.
- Adheres to procedures in the College Police General Orders Manual.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Must maintain physical fitness standard that will allow the performance of police duties
- Have the ability to physically restrain persons using approved restraint techniques
- Be able to stand, walk bend, kneel, reach for a prolonged periods of time.
- Must satisfactorily pass a psychological evaluation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a medical exam and drug screen.
- Must qualify for Maryland State Special Police Commission and Handgun permit.
- Must meet and maintain all MPCTC standards for a certified police officer.
- Must successfully complete MPCTC First Line Supervisory Training Course within 12 months from date of appointment.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible day, evening, night, weekend and/or holidays shifts, and be willing and able to work required overtime for College sponsored events, college registration, both on campus and extension centers.
- Hours for this position will be determined.
- Valid driver’s license with no more than two violations and/or three points. No history of serious and/or repeated violations, or failure to appear in court suspensions.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age at time of appointment.
Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
Is Background Check Required?Yes
Open Until FilledNo
Background Check Statement
A limited background investigation will be conducted prior to offer of employment. A signed authorization for release of personal information will be required if selected for an interview.