MC-Part Time-Professional Tutor-Writing Center (L69951)
- St. Louis Community College
- Location: St. Louis, Missouri
- Category: Admin-Tutors and Learning Resources
- Posting Date: 07/31/2019
- Application Deadline: 08/30/2019
Job TitleMC-Part Time-Professional Tutor-Writing Center (L69951)
Full/Part TimePart Time
52 or 36 weeks36
Suggested Starting Date08/26/2019
Usual Hours of Work20
DepartmentAcademic Support Center - b
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Assist students with writing assignments through one-on-one tutoring sessions in the College Writing Center and online.
• Conducting individual tutoring sessions, providing feedback to student writers enrolled in classes ranging from developmental English to Honors English, as well as courses in all academic subject areas and departments offered by Meramec
• Working with students on transfer essays, scholarship essays, resumes, and cover letters
• Helping students improve their writing skills and their ability to identify and correct their own errors
• Engaging students in conversations that help them draw out and express their ideas
• Explaining concepts and techniques and give students practice using those concepts and techniques
• Demonstrating professionalism in behavior and in communication with students, colleagues, and supervisors
• Developing and leading workshops on writing-related topics such as MLA and APA documentation systems
• Presenting writing center orientations to classes
• Developing or updating handouts on writing, grammar, and usage in response to evolving needs of students
• Conducting or contributing to assessment projects and research to enhance our services, practices, and knowledge
• Explaining concepts and providing guidance as students progress through self-directed courses
• Working with students whose first language is not English and those students with disabilities that may affect their ability to complete a writing assignment
• Attending scheduled staff meetings
• Apprising supervisors and/or English Department Chair of any issues or concerns affecting our daily operations and our ability to serve students
• Remaining current in best practices and scholarship by reading literature and participating in professional development opportunities.
A bachelor’s degree in the content area of tutoring or a closely related area and over one (1) year of relevant full-time experience.
Minimum 3.0 GPA in related discipline courses.
A successful candidate will have a degree in English or related field such as Journalism as well as have experience working with ESL/ELL students along with writing center experience and/or secondary or postsecondary teaching experience. Previous tutoring and/or writing center experience preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all applications be submitted prior to August 9, 2019.
This posting is to create a pool of applicants for potential openings for various academic semesters throughout the year.
Open Until FilledNo
Affirmative Action Statement
St. Louis Community College is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Special Instructions Summary
If the position requires transcripts, licenses, certificates, etc., please upload this information in order for your application to be considered further.