Position TitleUtility Worker - District Pool 7/2019
Position TypeClassified Substitute pool
Number of Months AssignmentNot To Exceed 60 Days
Current Work Schedule
Mon-Fri: 7am – 3:30 pm. Varies based on District needs.
Salary RangeRange 21
DepartmentFacilities Services (Dept)
Open Until FilledNo
Under the direction of the Manager, Operations and Maintenance perform a variety of delivery, general maintenance and custodial duties.
Pick up and deliver various materials including District mail, furniture and supplies; prepare orders for delivery; load and unload vehicle. E
Perform general maintenance duties as assigned; install chalk boards, bulletin boards, room partitions, dispensers and other furniture and equipment; replace light bulbs; perform minor repair of furniture and other facilities as required. E
Move and set up furniture and equipment as required for special events and activities. E
Maintain security of assigned areas; lock and unlock doors as required. E
Perform custodial duties as assigned; clean floors; replenish supplies as necessary. E
Maintain routine records, such as records of work orders, time sheets and schedules as required. E
Operate a variety of equipment and machinery including drills, saws and various hand and power tools; operate a motor vehicle as necessary to conduct work. E
Perform related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Methods, equipment and materials used in general maintenance and custodial work.
- Appropriate health and safety procedures.
- Requirements of maintaining buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Perform general maintenance and custodial work.
- Operate a variety of equipment and machines related to maintenance and custodial work.
- Maintain routine records.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Operate motor vehicles as needed to perform duties, observing legal and defensive driving practices.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above including one year of custodial or general maintenance.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Valid and insurable California Driver License.
Incumbents in the Utility Worker classification perform assigned utility services duties including delivery, maintenance and custodial duties. Incumbents in the Utility Leadperson classification perform a variety of utility services duties and are assigned lead duties.
Work includes indoor and outdoor environment; subject to heavy lifting and fumes from chemicals.
Rio Hondo College is currently seeking applications for temporary, hourly Utility Worker positions on an as needed basis.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- DMV Driving Record
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.