Children's Center Aide (37.5%) - Two Positions
- Rio Hondo College
- Location: Whittier, California
- Category: Admin-Child Care Services
- Posting Date: 09/06/2019
- Application Deadline: 09/20/2019
Position TitleChildren's Center Aide (37.5%) - Two Positions
Position TypeClassified Part Time
Number of Months Assignment11.5
Starting DateAs soon as possible
Current Work Schedule
We are currently recruiting for the following schedules:
Monday thru Friday 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Monday thru Friday 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Days and hours of employment may change depending on District needs.
$813.23 – $997.08 – Successful candidate will start at step 1 except in cases where District deems appropriate. This is a Categorically Funded position. Continuation of this position is contingent upon continued funding.
DepartmentChild Development Center
Under supervision of a Director of Child Development Center/Laboratory School, assist the teacher in all classroom functions and activities; provide supervision of the children and ensure a safe environment for all while providing opportunities for children to explore and grow; and to do related work as required.
Serves as a role model to the children. Modeling developmentally appropriate language, social behavioral and physical skills for young children. E
Provides health assistance and training to the children with toileting, hand washing and other self care tasks. E
Assists teacher and/or reports to administration any injuries a child incurs. E
Assists in supervision of children for safety in the indoor/outdoor environment including picking up children up to 50 pounds. Picks up toys, removes obstacles, prepares playdough, paint and a variety of other materials for use in the classroom. E
Sets up indoor and outdoor equipment, such as blocks, tricycles, balls, slides, pools, water tables, animal cages, up to 50 pounds. E
Reads to children. E
Assists in delivery of the nutritional program by serving food to children. E
Assists and maintains classroom cleanliness and cleanliness in other areas as necessary to continue program operation. E
Assists, maintains and cares properly for classroom pets including cleaning of cages. E
Provides encouragement and emotional support to children. Provides positive and effective interactions between colleagues, parents and children. E
Assists and maintains the naptime environment including setting up cots and necessary bedding, maintaining a quiet and restful environment, interacting with the children, and doing laundry when necessary. E
Assists the teachers in delivering assigned curriculum and in setting up the learning environment.
Other related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Basic classroom safety procedures.
- Appropriate speech and behavior including conflict resolution.
- Basic theories of early childhood education.
- Developmentally appropriate practices.
- Perform routine health tasks such as toileting and hand washing.
- Practice appropriate health and safety approaches.
- Read expressively to children and explain and discuss concepts presented through reading, song, and movement.
- Assist the teachers efforts to facilitate and support emergent literacy through music, activities, creativity movement, reading, math science, and social studies.
- Model appropriate social skills and behavior.
- Provide support and guidance to young children.
- Lift 50 pounds.
Education and Experience
Twelve (12) units of Early Childhood Education core courses.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Child Development Center environment; subject to stooping, pushing, pulling, bending, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Applications are currently being accepted for Children Center Aide. This is a Part-Time, 11.5 month, 37.5% position. 15 hours per week. No Health Benefits.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Complete transcripts of all college/university studies, including degree earned (copies will be accepted). NOTE: Transcripts from multiple colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded.
- Transcripts must include degree awarded and confer date (please circle conferral date on transcripts). Transcripts without this information and online applications without transcripts will be disqualified.
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.