Provide instruction and monitor teaching/learning effectiveness in courses assigned by the Department Chairperson, with the approval of the Dean of Arts & Sciences and the Vice President for Instruction & Student Services.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Teach Geography courses. Instructors would teach face-to-face, online, or hybrid courses.
2. Prepare and, on the first day of class, distribute departmental syllabus which informs students in writing about course requirements as to absences, tardiness, testing, assignments, and grading policies.
3. Inform students of their progress by promptly returning assignments, quizzes, and examinations.
4. Compile, administer, and grade instruments that evaluate student progress.
5. Encourage the use of the Library, the Tutoring Center, the Counseling Center and other supportive services.
6. Counsel students and notify student or counselors of frequent absences, failures, or necessary make-up work.
7. Meet all assigned classes on time in the assigned classrooms and be available to students 15 minutes before class, except between classes when teaching back-to-back classes, and 15 minutes after class per day in the Adjunct office or the Tutoring Center.
8. Follow procedures related to the Registrar’s Office, including grade reports and deadlines, attendance record reports, withdrawal deadlines, mid-semester
progress reports, and the like.
9. Follow the academic calendar and procedures as outlined in the Faculty Procedures Manual.
10. Direct library research or other outside assignments.
11. Promote College programs and curricula.
12. Update syllabi at least every two years.
13. Substitute for colleagues when necessary.
14. Cooperate in evaluation procedures by students, Department Chairperson, and the Vice President for Instruction & Student Services.
15. Provide a safe environment for students and be responsible for the security of assigned equipment, materials, and classrooms.
16. Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chairperson, Dean of Arts & Sciences, Vice President for Instruction & Student Services or President.
Position Reports To
Master’s Degree, eighteen graduate hours in Geography.
Some experience in teaching.
Some experience in teaching, at the junior and/or senior college level.
Certificates/Licenses and Skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Be knowledgeable, mature, and concerned with the academic progress of students.
Be cooperative and professional in dealing with college administrators, colleagues, and students.
Ability to provide service to a diverse population, to operate specialized equipment, audio-visual aids, and to develop lecture strategies to enhance teaching effectiveness.
Walking, standing, lifting, carrying, and bending.
Required to lift items weighing 20 pounds.
Inside work-in a well lighted and air conditioned area most of the time
Outside will be exposed to all types of weather, noise, and vibration from equipment.
Required to work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Other duties may be assigned by immediate supervisor. May be required to work outside regular working hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Laredo Community College is open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin who are otherwise eligible for admission as students. Furthermore, Laredo Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and no applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or national origin. This institution will not enter knowingly into any contractual agreement for services or supplies with any firm failing to follow fair employment practices.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please ensure that you remove/hide all personal information from any attachments that you upload into the system. This includes social security number and date of birth.
Requesting hiring departments will have access to your application and will contact you directly with specific job details should a position become available.