Normandale Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, people of color, people living with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Normandale Community College seeks a visionary, inspiring, and transformational leader committed to the principles of equity and inclusion to serve as the next Vice President of Finance and Operations to steward the financial, technical, and physical resources of the college in alignment with its mission, vision, and strategic objectives. This is a senior leadership, cabinet-level position that reports directly to the President.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a business, IT, or financial executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving, expertise in equity and inclusion, as well as change management to join in a mission-driven (student success) organization with a highly collaborative leadership team. This position is responsible for the administration, oversight, and continuous improvement of Fiscal Services, Information Technology, Facilities Management, and Auxiliary Services.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
• Exemplify best practices in job performance and work ethic, integrity and ethical behavior, effective communication, sound judgement, effective change management, and supervisory responsibilities.
• Serve as an active member of the President’s Cabinet in the leadership of the college, advising on financial planning, budgeting, facility management, safety, information technology, auxiliary enterprise management, and policy matters.
• Work collaboratively and innovatively with other senior administrators to provide leadership that demonstrates an appreciation of all constituencies and contributes to the positive working environment at Normandale.
• Contribute meaningfully to the development of Normandale’s goals and objectives, including the college’s equity and inclusion goals, as well as the overall management of the college.
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and monitor and evaluate results using intercultural competencies and a supportive and collaborative approach.
• Manage one of the most diverse divisions of the college, with four (4) direct reports and over 100 indirect reports from a variety of work areas.
Finance & Operations Leadership
• Support the teaching and learning process through resource allocation, policy implementation, institutional planning, and continuous operational effectiveness.
• Lead and provide financial expertise in the development of the college budget, strategic planning, and implementation of overall fiscal policy and procedures.
• Develop and drive the college-wide process of facilities master planning, enterprise risk management, and technology planning.
• Provide administrative leadership for planning and implementation of strategic initiatives for the college in the areas of assigned responsibility.
• Lead capital planning, remodeling and construction projects, and oversee the implementation and budgets for these projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in higher education, business or finance, organizational administration, information technology, or another closely related field.
• Five (5) to ten (10) years of progressively senior administrative leadership roles in a complex organization, preferably in a large higher education institution or closely related organization.
• Demonstrated success in selecting, supporting, training, engaging, and leading diverse teams of people in an inclusive work environment.
• Direct experience managing all or a combination of the following areas: fiscal services, technology services, auxiliary enterprises, public safety, facilities management.
• Demonstrated ability to understand, analyze, plan, and communicate complex financial management and to accurately forecast financial positioning.
• Demonstrated proficiency and efficiency in information technology knowledge.
• Working knowledge of contracts, capital projects, budgeting, planning, and physical plan operations.
• Successful experience in collaborative and innovative planning and implementation of strategic initiatives in a shared governance structure.
• Experience in enforcing policy implementation and effective internal controls.
• Knowledge of and commitment to the mission and the values of a community college.
• Master’s or Doctoral degree in a relevant field and appropriate certifications.
• Substantial experience in organizational leadership with at least five (5) years of executive experience in a multi-contract collective bargaining environment.
• Successful experience managing fiscal and other functions in a public college or university that is part of a state-wide system.
• Comprehensive skill and successful experience in maintaining financial controls over large capital renovation and building projects.
• Demonstrated ability to create innovative solutions for management and operational issues.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in process improvement, project management, and enterprise risk management.
• Robust strategic planning aptitude and organizational skills to strengthen the institution, work across divisions, and collaborate in a college or university setting.
• Working knowledge of state and federal laws, policies, and regulations.
The ideal candidate for this position will also demonstrate the following characteristics:
• Impeccable commitment to Normandale’s mission, vision, and values and is energized by working in this environment and specifically for the purpose of driving student success.
• Strong leadership skills to establish vision and motivate others to achieve extraordinary results.
• Demonstrated ability to establish credibility and trust with broad and diverse constituencies.
• Proven commitment to high standards of ethics and integrity, both personally and professionally.
• The successful candidate assumes both a strategic leadership role and a hands-on approach to problem-solving, and communicates financial information to the campus community in clear and approachable language.
• A leader who appreciates, mentors, and rewards other leaders reporting directly to them.
• A visionary who effectively balances fiscal conservatism and thoughtful risk to ensure innovation and progress in advancing the college’s mission.
Normandale Community College is located in Bloomington, Minnesota, which is in the southwest metropolitan region of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota and one of the fastest growing areas of the state. With a population of over 3.5 million, the Twin Cities is home to a variety of cultural communities and features a growing economy, a plethora of arts and recreation opportunities, excellent public schools and health care systems, as well as thriving cultural and community organizations. A recent study estimates the contribution of Normandale Community College to the regional economy to be over $410 million dollars and 3,474 jobs.
Founded in 1968, and offering over 50 Associate degree programs, Normandale is the largest community college in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, serving almost 15,000 students from diverse backgrounds, 42% of whom are students of color and nearly 25% are first-generation. With student success as a primary focus, Normandale is dedicated to the mission of ensuring students have the highest quality education. To learn more about Normandale’s vision and strategic directions visit:
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE!
As an agency of the State of Minnesota, Normandale offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, short and long term disability, generous vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays each year, employer paid life insurance, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plans, and tax-deferred compensation. Additional benefits include tuition waivers available to the position, their spouse and dependent children up to age 26. Learn more at http://www.normandale.edu/departments/human-resources/employee-benefits.
All applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States at the time of employment. Normandale does not sponsor visas.
If you have general questions about this posting, contact Damaris Abuta in Human Resources at email@example.com.