South Texas College, a comprehensive, multi-campus public community college in the Rio Grande Valley, has launched a national search for the Dean of Continuing Education, Workforce Training, and Economic Development. This is an exceptional opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader who is committed to serving students and the community and is passionate about their success. This administrator will report directly to the President. The Search Committee invites applications, nominations, and expressions of interest.
For complete information, see the Search Profile at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/STC-CE20.pdf
Founded in 1993, South Texas College (STC) is a nationally recognized community college with over 32,000 credit and more than 14,000 noncredit continuing education students each semester and a faculty and staff of more than 2,600. The college has five campuses, plus a sixth virtual online campus, and offers more than 123 degree and certificate program options and five applied baccalaureate degree programs.The largest and fastest growing higher educational institution south of San Antonio, STC also offers continuing, professional, and workforce education programs and Dual Credit courses for eligible high school students.
More than 70 percent of the students are the first in their families to attend college, and more than 95 percent of the students are Hispanic. The Dual Credit program represents nearly 40 percent of the total enrollment.
STC has long been recognized as a catalyst for regional economic prosperity and social mobility for its service area in Hidalgo and Starr counties. Since the creation of South Texas College, the unemployment rate in its two-county district has dropped from 24.1 percent to 7.9 percent for Hidalgo County and from 40.3 percent to 13.0 percent for Starr County. Additionally, the population below the poverty level has dropped from 41.5 percent to 34.8 percent for Hidalgo County, and from 59.6 percent to 39.2 percent in Starr County.
STC serves more than 29,000 non-credit continuing education students a year, of which over 2,000 are part of the Institute of Advanced Manufacturing and over 1,000 are part of the Regional Center for Public Safety Excellence. Whether through career preparation, career pathways, customized corporate training, professional education and development, professional conferences, or personal enrichment courses, STC provides education opportunities that enable students to reach their goals and companies to have a skilled and trained workforce.
For complete information, visit http://www.southtexascollege.edu/cpwe/
The Dean of Continuing Education, Workforce Training, and Economic Development provides visionary, results-oriented leadership in delivering quality educational opportunities for lifelong learners and custom training for businesses, industry, and area companies. The Dean is responsible for developing, managing, and administering programs in the areas of Adult Basic Education Customized Workforce Training and Economic Development Personal Enrichment Professional Education and Development Working with a 35-member staff and over 100 trainers, the Dean develops programs that offer quality and lifelong education opportunities through career preparation, career pathways, customized corporate training, professional education and development, professional conferences, and personal enrichment courses. On-site programs are offered on the Pecan Campus, Starr County Campus, Technology Campus, and Mid-Valley Campus.
- Provides leadership for the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and training in response to the needs of the community.
- Provides entrepreneurial leadership and accountability for operation of a financially self-sustaining unit of the College.
- Develops, recommends, and administers the annual department budget and is responsible for maintaining accountability and sound fiscal management.
- Fosters collaborative partnerships internally within the College and externally with all segments of the community, agencies, school districts, businesses, and organizations.
- Interfaces with key academic affairs and student services personnel to integrate and articulate noncredit continuing education programs with credit programs.
- Develops short- and long-term plan for implementing and expanding online processes for registration and other automated operational functions.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and compliance with federal, state, and local workforce development grants and contracts.
- Responsible for department inventory and controls, course curriculum, program quality, policy formulation and interpretation, enrollment data, course attendance records, and oversight of personnel timekeeping records.
- Facilitates the purchasing of suitable diagnostic tests, textbooks, materials, and other instructional resources as necessary for continuing education, customized workforce training activities, and other departmental programming activities.
- Leads the strategic planning process to establish goals, action plans, and institutional effectiveness (IE) plans leading to increased annual enrollment and recovery of costs for self-sustaining funding of the department.
- Develops and spearheads marketing and promotional activities to promote student enrollment, responsiveness to community needs and public awareness of departmental capacity achievements and activities.
- Represents the College in meetings and workshops with economic development organizations and their business and industry prospects.
- Meets regularly with local, regional, and state government representatives to discuss and evaluate strategies that support workforce education.
- Negotiates the acquisition of capital equipment to support training activities and programs.
- Secures grants, contributions, and other funding sources to support continuing education, workforce training, and economic development programs.
A bachelor's degree is required. A master's degree in Education or a related field is preferred. (A master's degree in process will be considered if it will be completed by the hired date.)
Candidate must have at least five years of experience in any of the following or combined areas: adult education, continuing education, workforce training, customized training, or other relevant experience. A minimum of two years of progressive administrative/supervisory experience is required.
Knowledge of non-credit continuing education, program development, operations, management, marketing, and grant development is preferred.
Due to travel, candidate must have or qualify for a valid Texas driver's license and proof of liability insurance.
Other requirements include
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, the Windows environment, and internet research skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop partnerships and procure necessary resources
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects that require demonstrated leadership ability in an environment of rapid growth and change
- Ability to adapt to constant change and periods of fast-paced, high-intensity work situations
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine proper course of action
- Detail and deadline oriented with a solid background in program development, operations, management, marketing, and grant development
- Knowledge of potential applications for automation of continuing education systems to optimize efficiencies and streamline processes
- Team player with the ability to collaborate with all departments, functions, and support services of the College
- Ability to apply basic accounting and develop financial revenue and expenditure projections for a self-sustaining unit of the College
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as needed; willing to travel throughout the College district using own means of reliable transportation
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse, multi-cultural community serving a predominantly Hispanic population
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving the vision and mission of South Texas College
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries from executive management, faculty, staff, students, public groups, regulatory agencies, and/or Board of Trustees
All applicants are subject to a national criminal background check under South Texas College policy. Because this is a security sensitive position, finalists will have a federal background check
South Texas College
For the past 26 years, South Texas College has fulfilled its mission of being a public institution of higher education that provides educational opportunities through excellence in teaching and learning, workforce development, cultural enrichment, community service, and regional and global collaborations. The College is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and its offerings are approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Texas Education Agency.
The College has five academic divisions: Business, Public Safety & Technology; Math and Science; Liberal Arts; Social Sciences; and Nursing and Allied Health. Associate degrees are offered in a variety of liberal arts, social science, business, math, science, technology, advanced manufacturing, and allied health fields of study. Additionally, STC is the only community college in the State of Texas to offer five baccalaureate degrees.
More than 2,700 faculty and staff members serve the college's six campuses, two higher education centers, and one virtual campus. Committed to student success, the faculty provide not only knowledge and expertise in the classroom, but also serve as mentors to their students.
South Texas College is a model of collaboration with public schools and has one of the largest dual enrollment programs in the state of Texas. A variety of dual enrollment programs have been instituted, including early college high schools, six academies, drop-out recovery programs and other unique initiatives with 24 school districts and over 78 high school sites throughout Hidalgo and Starr counties.
In addition, South Texas College leads the nation in the number of Early College High School partnerships developed with area Independent School Districts. This includes 29 Early College High Schools and two Career and Technical Early College High Schools.
Visit South Texas College's website at http://www.southtexascollege.edu
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
South Texas College is located in two counties within the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), the southernmost tip of South Texas. Residents enjoy warm sub-tropical breezes and family-friendly communities, complemented by the charms of Historic Old Mexico.
Whether looking for an established neighborhood or a more urban setting, the area offers outstanding affordable housing along with quality public and private schools and great parks and recreational venues. Shopping, fine and casual dining, and arts and cultural opportunities are available. Also, Texas does not have a personal state income tax.
South Padre Island and Gulf Coast beaches are a short drive away. For bird watchers, the area is a renowned birding destination.
The area often earns accolades and high rankings on national “Best of” lists. Among its rankings in 2018, the City of McAllen was named #34 in Best American Small Cities by Resonance Consultancy and among the Best For Frugal Retirees by Smart Assets.
Nominations and Application Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed; nominations are invited.
To Apply - Application packet must include: a) Letter of interest, b) Current curriculum vitae, c) At least five references with full contact and e-mail information and must include references at each place of employment within the past 10 years. (References will not be contacted without the applicant's consent.)
Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to STC-CE@myersmcrae.com by Feb. 17, 2020 for best consideration. The application process will remain open until the position is filled.
Submit nominations firstname.lastname@example.org with complete contact and e-mail information on the individual being nominated.
Emily Parker Myers, CEO, and Jennifer Barfield, Senior Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, are assisting STC with this search.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Ga. 31201
South Texas College is an equal education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. As an equal education institution and equal opportunity employer, the College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.