Position TitleAdjunct for Culinary Arts
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Associate Dean
DepartmentCulinary Institute (School of Business)-2D4
Position TypeOne Semester Temporary
Job CategoryAdjunct - Variable
Initial Work LocationVaries
Starting SalaryCommensurate on experience
Job Open Date07/22/2016
Open Until FilledNo
For over 25 years, the Culinary Arts program at SLCC has been preparing students for careers as chefs or food and beverage supervisors in a wide range of industries.
Located at the Miller Campus, the SLCC Culinary Institute is a beautiful free-standing facility which has gas and electric kitchens, multiple classrooms, a computer lab, demonstration kitchen and dining room. The Instructor will provide industry experience in both the classroom and with on-the-job training.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
l. Follow course curriculum outline, prepare and deliver lectures and other classroom activities.
2. Prepare and administer student evaluations.
3. Keep accurate classroom records, grades and attendance.
4. Coordinates Student ADA accommodation requests following college policy and procedures.
5. Encourage out of classroom experiences related to competitions (industry visits, shopping, and possible travel coordinated to an out of the area competition).
6. Require out of classroom self directed practice.
7. Meets College and department deadlines and evaluates student work in a timely manner including submitting final grades on time.
8. Supports department assessment initiatives.
9. Completes all required training.
10.Attend required training and department meetings as invited.
Previous culinary competition experience, BS in Culinary or Food Service Management preferred.
Teaching experience in Higher Education.
Ability to lead.
1. Minimum AS in Culinary Arts plus six years professional kitchen experience.
2. Qualified for ACF certification.
3. Presently chef de partie (station chef) or higher (sous chef, working chef, executive chef).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Familiarity with ACF sanctioned culinary competition format.
2. Knowledge of SkillsUSA technical standards.
3. Able to prepare any supplemental course material as needed.
4. ACF certified as CEC or higher.
5. Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, culture, ethnic background, and abilities, to maintain good working relationships across the College. The ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities and special needs.
Important: The following items are required to complete and certify the application process:
1. Attach a resume and cover letter for consideration
2. Answer the screening questions for this posting.
Official Transcripts are required for those who are offered employment only.
This posting is for ongoing recruiting where the submitted applications are reviewed by the hiring department when positions become available.
As directed by SLCC Policy, Adjunct positions are semester by semester contract with no guarantee of continued employment.