Telecommunications Systems Designer
- Los Rios Community College District
- Location: Sacramento, California
- Category: Admin-Public Relations, Marketing and Communications
- Posting Date: 01/24/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job Posting TitleTelecommunications Systems Designer
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
Department LocationInformation Technology Department
The Los Rios Community College District is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office complex. The District office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under general supervision of the assigned manager/supervisor, incumbent functions as a planner and project leader and/or technical specialist for the telecommunications network infrastructure for the District. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to Information Technology Department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details)
● Takes responsibility for the planning and management of the Information Technology (IT) network infrastructure throughout the enterprise including all new campus creation, new building construction, and remodels.
● Manages large vendor contracts, schedules work, and adjusts schedules; evaluates quality of work; determines completeness of work, enforces state guidelines and requirements for installation of work and payment for work.
● Provides technical architectural definition and modification guidelines.
● Acts as lead for Information Technology staff who provide the designs and carry out infrastructure construction.
● Procures components; aligns deliverables to customer needs; assesses satisfaction of internal customers; and moderates disputes.
● Documents and oversees the publishing of all new installations and changes.
● Works with District facilities planners, architects, deans, and administration to ensure successful long and short-term infrastructure installation and utilization.
● Leads projects for linking the enterprise at all levels: site-to-site, building-to-building, floor-to-floor, and closet-to-closet.
● Specifies, orders, installs all high speed leased lines, oversees troubleshooting, and maintains documentation.
● Leads the planning of migrations to new or improved infrastructure practices.
● Assigns system resources as needed.
● Acts as a focal point for requests, problems, and issues affecting the network infrastructure.
● Assigns and monitors staff assignments and special projects and provides leadership, direction, and training for Information Technology Technicians, Support Consultants, and contract employees with unique skill sets.
● Leads the planning, design, and maintenance of complex systems, including video systems, alarm infrastructure, etc., and leads the development of procedures, policies, and guidelines for the operation of the network infrastructure.
● Performs related duties as required.
Work Year12 month
8:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per week
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343; employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation.
EXPERIENCE: Two years’ experience working in network infrastructure design, network planning or related field. (One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement).
EDUCATION: An Associate’s degree from an accredited institution in Project Management, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, or related field; OR, a combination of training and/or experience totaling four years that is likely to have provided the required level of knowledge and abilities.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: One year of education is equal to 30 semester units.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Salary$7,431.32 per month LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.