Position TitleFaculty FT-History-Ancient and Medieval History, Modern European History, and/or the History of the Atlantic World
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Full Time or Part TimeFull Time
Hiring Salary RangeSALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)Tenure Track
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Job Description Summary
Prince George’s Community College invites applications for a full-time faculty position in History beginning in Spring 2020. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to high-quality undergraduate education. The search committee will give preference to candidates who have expertise in teaching in various modalities (i.e. face-to-face, online, and/or hybrid) at the college level in the fields of Ancient and Medieval History, Modern European History, and/or the History of the Atlantic World.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent* with a minimum of 15 graduate credits in World History or Studies.
- Teaching experience (preferably at the college level), in the area of concentration, or pertinent professional experience relevant to teaching area.
*Satisfactory completion of 30 semester hours or more of relevant academic study in an accredited doctoral program may, at the discretion of the department, be determined to meet this requirement.
This following criteria will be used to review the applications of those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and to select those who will be invited for an interview. Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview will be asked to give a teaching demonstration on content fundamental to the discipline of History, the conditions of which will be determined in advance and shared with all candidates prior to the interview. In addition to the criteria listed below, other information gained from and observations made during the interview process, including the review committee’s assessment of a simulated teaching performance, may be considered in selecting candidates to be recommended for appointment.
- Extent and relevance of graduate educational preparation to anticipated teaching assignments.
- Relevance of teaching experience to anticipated teaching assignment in History.
- Relevance of non-teaching professional experience to anticipated teaching assignments.
- Evidence of quality teaching, including faculty evaluation scores and ratings, teaching awards earned, courses designed, developed, and/or revised, etc.
- Evidence of knowledge of and experience in employing instructional methods and techniques based on Social Sciences education.
- Evidence of teaching in various modalities (i.e. face-to-face, online, and/or hybrid).
- Evidence of currency in professional discipline through continuing education, professional development and/or scholarly activity.
- Evidence of ability to teach effectively within, and contribute positively to, a diverse, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural student population and campus environment.
- Evidence of experience in or knowledge of curriculum development and instructional technology.
- Ability and willingness to teach day, evening, weekend, and/or online sections in History.
- Degree from an accredited institution.
- Documentation of experience and performance requirement.
- Unofficial transcripts must accompany applications for teaching positions. Before an applicant can be recommended for hire, he/she must have an unofficial transcript on file with the college. Official transcripts of academic work required upon an offer of employment.
- Letters of reference must be job related and dated within the past three years. At least three letters should be included with the application.
- Ability to effectively communicate in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1985 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a United States citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to offer of employment. A signed authorization for release of personal information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is Background Check Required?Yes
Open Until FilledYes
Background Check Statement
A background investigation will be conducted prior to offer of employment. A signed authorization for release of personal information will be required if selected for an interview.