ESL Instructor: Non-Credit, Adult Education - Oakton Community College
- Oakton Community College
- Location: Des Plaines, Illinois
- Category: Faculty-Liberal Arts-English As Second Language
- Posting Date: 05/07/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Oakton Community College's Alliance for Lifelong Learning Division is looking for non-credit English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors to teach in the Adult Education department on a part-time basis, up to 25 hours per week.
- Teach ESL to adults (listening, speaking, reading, writing, with embedded vocabulary and grammar taught in real-life contexts)
- Prepare high-quality engaging lessons
- Submit registration cards, class lists, and attendance reports promptly to office
- Maintain daily attendance records and enter attendance into the DAISI system
- Maintain complete and accurate student files
- Administer ICCB-required pre-and post-tests based on student attendance hours
- Contact non-attending students
- Complete the 12 hours of professional development required each fiscal year
- B.A. or B.S. in education or related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in English
- Daily access to and proficiency in using email, internet, and basic Excel for attendance
- Experience teaching ESL in an Adult Education program
- Knowledge of SLA theories and ESL teaching methodologies
- Official degree transcripts due at time of hiring
- Rate of pay: Bachelors: $25/hour; Masters:$26.00/hour; Terminal: $27.00/hour
- Prep-time and other out-of-class work (e.g. paperwork, contacting students) is not paid.
- Hours vary: Days, Nights, Weekends
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.