Vice President, Finance and Operations/Chief Financial Officer
- Brookdale Community College
- Location: Lincroft, New Jersey
- Category: Executive-Administrative Vice President
- Posting Date: 07/15/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Requisition Number: 063517
Department: Finance & Operations
- Develop/manage the preparation of the College's annual capital/operating budgets/audit. Direct/supervise Finance, Facilities, Auxiliary Services, Legal Affairs, Strategic Partnerships, and Information Technology functions. Responsible for capital inventory, the investment portfolio, and all financial functions. Maintain the integrity of the institution's finances/facilities. Act as Chief Financial Officer.
- Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to provide coordinated leadership/decision making for Student Success, Academic, Continuing and Professional Studies, Advancement, and Administrative Operations.
- Description of Duties -
- Oversee the development/implementation of the College's comprehensive business plan.
- Oversee/approve the preparation of the annual budget, financial statements/reports.
- Assist the President in obtaining Board of Trustees and Board of School Estimate approval for the College Budget. Control/monitor the budget throughout the year.
- Develop/manage the preparation of the annual financial/special audits consistent with G.A.S.B. requirements. Oversee the coordination of internal/external auditing and legal services.
Description of Duties/Selection Criteria
Description of Duties continued...
- Manage the investment portfolio/risk management/insurance functions, ensuring maximum investment return and minimal liability/financial exposure.
- Develop/implement financial policies, regulations, procedures, and strategies to support the College's mission, vision, and strategic priorities. Provide leadership, education, and assistance for effective financial management to all areas.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements including the review/approval of all required external financial reports/filings. Comply with all G.A.A.P. and G.A.S.B. requirements. Implement new federal or state financial requirements.
- Provide strategic vision for Enterprise Development and form public-private partnerships to acquire alternative sources of revenue.
- Provide financial analyses and recommendations for various projects and needs.
- Direct the development, implementation and monitoring of operational/ revenue generating activities for auxiliary operations.
- Oversee the development/implementation of the Facilities Master Plan/ Information Technology Strategic Plan.
- Advise the President on all facility/information technology functions.
- Ensure that the technology and infrastructure are kept current and fully support the academic/administrative needs.
- Oversee development, planning, implementation, and operation of all College sites, including maintenance of the physical plant/renovations/ new construction.
- Assist the President in site acquisitions, facility development, building plans and programs, and the disposition of College properties.
- Develop/implement facility policies/regulations/procedures, and strategies to support the College's mission, vision, and strategic priorities. Provide leadership, education, and assistance for effective facility management to all areas.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements related to buildings/grounds.
- Plan and direct the development of policies/procedures to ensure effective oversight of functions reporting to this position, including finance, facilities, auxiliary services, legal affairs, strategic partnerships, and information technology. Coordinate the development of annual goals and objectives for each of these functions in alignment with the College's Strategic Plan.
- Oversee Risk Management, protect the interests of the College, and actively participate in long range forecasting.
- Develop/maintain a comprehensive system of internal controls to safeguard assets.
- Assist the College and its labor negotiators in developing and pricing the impact of various economic proposals in the negotiation of contracts with labor associations.
- Investigate, negotiate, recommend, obtain approval and administer all contracted services within Finance and Operations.
- Ensure that all contracts relating to Finance and Operations are in compliance with College policies and state and local procedures through internal review and in consultation with College legal counsel.
- Maintain liaison with local, county, state, and national agencies in order to develop effective working relationships and secure maximum support for College operations.
- Consistent with operational plans and objectives, seek opportunities to contain or reduce operating costs while keeping the mission of the College intact.
- Provide leadership for Finance and Operations to respond to the needs of student success, academic, continuing and professional studies, advancement, and administrative operations.
- Negotiate a variety of service(s) and financial contracts /arrangements on behalf of the College. Interview, select, and evaluate the performance of Finance and Operations staff. Ensure that all are relevant.
- Ensure that all Finance and Operations supervisors participate in the performance management process for assigned employees.
- Master's degree in in Finance, Accounting, or a related field required.
- An active C.P.A. license preferred.
- A minimum of seven (7) to eight (8) years of progressively responsible managerial experience in accounting and financial management.
- Experience with and understanding of technology with proficiency in Excel and integrated financial/accounting systems.
- Knowledge of Government Accounting Standard Board (G.A.S.B.) and Government Auditing Standards.
- Strong supervisory and leaderships skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrative management and systems thinking.
- Demonstrated commitment to work collaboratively and problem-solve through teamwork.
- Proven outstanding communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- High level of diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and problem-solve through teamwork.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and projects with discretion, tact and timeliness.
- Familiarity with NJ State community college regulations and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college.
- Must be able to travel locally.
Preferred Qualifications & Special Considerations (i.e. overtime, expertise in, physical requirements, flexible in schedule, travel, preferred qualifications, etc)
- Higher education finance
- Oversight of facilities/physical plant operations
- Construction management
- Management of information technology services
- Development and management of public/private partnerships
- Knowledge of Monmouth County and its communities.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- Leadership: Demonstrates exemplary ethical leadership and management skills.
- Judgment: Forms opinions objectively and authoritatively.
- Initiative: Demonstrates on-going action-oriented thinking and problem solving.
- Innovation: Uses creative, solutions-oriented approach to address problems.
- Enterprising: Customarily employs imagination, initiative and a willingness to undertake new projects.
- Confidentiality: Understands and employs discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
- Dependability: Promptly and reliably responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Decision Making: Displays willingness to make difficult decisions that align with College goals and are data informed where possible.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Communication: Effectively communicates with others.
- Time Management: Is able to complete all job requirements and meet all required deadlines
- Work Ethic: Displays an organized and results-oriented approach, and motivation to perform without extensive direction or supervision.
- Accuracy: Displays high quality work and level of precision.
This position is open until filled, but only applications received by March 4, 2020 can be assured full consideration.
Cover Letter should address how the applicant's experiences match the qualifications, resume or curriculum vitae must be included.
Unofficial f transcripts can also be sent hardcopy to:
Brookdale Community College
765 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738
Attention: Human Resources
Faxed to: Human Resources at 732-224-2970
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay Rate: Competitive compensation package is offered
Pay Basis: Annually