Data and Research Analyst
- Pikes Peak Community College
- Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Category: Admin-Institutional Research and Planning
- Posting Date: 07/23/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Thirty percent of our student population at Pikes Peak Community College identify themselves as persons of color. Pikes Peak Community College is looking for applicants who are culturally competent and can demonstrate evidence, understanding, and a commitment to the concepts of diversity, multiculturalism, and their application in the workplace.
Pikes Peak Community College (PPCC) is committed to serving the good of the community. We do this by educating people. We provide open access to higher education and a high quality learning environment in which students can realize new opportunities and gain critical, 21st century skills they need to succeed in the workforce or in further education. Teaching people how to work effectively with others, across boundaries, is central to our mission.
This begins with welcoming and valuing people for who they are and for the unique contributions each person adds to our campus. It also requires our faculty, staff and students to encounter, explore and understand a broad range of ideas and cultures. Our community college mission is inseparable from the ever-increasing diversity in our society.
Diverse and inclusive learning and working environments promote a free and open exchange of ideas, improve critical thinking, civic engagement and leadership skills, and deepen empathy and respect for those unlike ourselves. Our campus is enriched by a variety of voices and experiences.
Attracting, hiring and retaining a highly engaged workforce that reflects and supports the diversity of our student body are of central importance to our work. Other essential factors are expanding and strengthening opportunities for students to learn and succeed through culturally responsive instruction and diversity-infused course offerings. We ensure that diversity represents a process of continual learning and improvement by developing, cultivating and sustaining an organizational culture based on mutual respect, inquiry and civility.
Please visit the College’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion site for additional information at https://www.ppcc.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness (IE), the Data and Research Analyst collects, manages, analyzes, interprets, and reports a wide variety of data in support of the college accreditation, accountability, planning, policy formulation, and assessment processes.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science, information systems, education administration, business, accounting, public administration, social sciences or a closely related field
- Experience in institutional or educational research, or institutional or programmatic effectiveness
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science, information systems, education administration, business, accounting, public administration, social sciences or a closely related field
- One year of experience in an Institutional Research or Institutional Effectiveness office
- Experience completing federal or state-mandated reports (e.g. IPEDS surveys)
Salary is $5,166.67 gross per month. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 5, 2020. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Application Instructions: Please submit electronically a cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial), and the names and contact information of three recent job-related references who can address your expertise and background for this position. The cover letter must specifically address each of the qualifications listed under Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications in the exact same order in which they are listed in this announcement. Incomplete applications may not receive full consideration.
This position may be eligible for a variety of employee benefits available at https://www.cccs.edu/employee-resources/employee-benefits/. Pikes Peak Community College participates in the Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA). Contribution rates are available at https://www.copera.org/employers/employer-contribution-rates.
Note: Prior submission of application materials will not be considered.
Data Analysis and Reporting
- Prepare and submit state and federally mandated reports (e.g. IPEDS, Gainful Employment, Common Data Set) and external surveys (e.g. College Board, ACT IDQ)
- Prepare and disseminate internal reports on a scheduled basis
- Process ad hoc requests and collaborate with data requestors to clarify needs and develop appropriate reporting protocols
- Build queries and reports in the IBM COGNOS reporting environment (ODS/EDW)
- Extract data from the Banner environment using queries and population selections
- Use the National Student Clearinghouse to develop reports on transfer students
- Analyze, evaluate, logically interpret, and summarize a wide variety of institutional data to provide timely, relevant, and accurate information to a broad range of internal and external audiences
- Assist departments in the analysis and reporting of survey results
- Provide data to fulfill a variety of grant reporting requirements
- Support the state authorization compliance process
- Proofread reports for accuracy and completeness
- Develop and maintain documentation regarding key reporting processes
Data Collection and Management
- Coordinate large-scale data collection campaigns (e.g. internal surveys, CCSSE, SENSE, VE135)
- Implement frequent quality assurance checks and recommend corrections where necessary to continuously increase the accuracy and reliability of institutional data
- Freeze historical data files
- Assist departments in the design, development, and administration of surveys
- Disseminate data and reports through the college website and portal
- Attend conferences and meetings as assigned by the Executive Director of IE
- Actively participate in the state-wide Institutional Research Advisory Group and COGNOS Report User Group
- Assist as needed with other IE-related projects (institutional research, assessment, and accreditation)
- Serve on task forces and project teams
- Perform necessary administrative duties to ensure smooth operations of the IE Office
General Duties, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Cultural competence and demonstrated evidence, understanding, and commitment to the concepts of diversity, multiculturalism, and their application in the workplace.
- Ability to analyze and logically interpret data
- Experience organizing data sets into tabular and graphic presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with the ability to work in Excel at an advanced level
- Ability to interpret and present complex information in various formats to a diverse audience
- Capacity to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships at all levels of the organization
- Strong critical thinking and interpretive skills to analyze situations, define problems, and develop/implement solutions
- Ability to establish goals, priorities, and timelines and to plan work accordingly
- Ability to complete projects independently and work cooperatively as part of the team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of information
- Experience in working with large data sets
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures
- Understanding of database and data warehouse structures
- Experience extracting data from large relational databases and merging data from multiple sources
- Extreme attention to detail and data accuracy while working on multiple projects with competing deadline
This job description reflects Pikes Peak Community College’s best effort to describe the essential duties and qualifications of the job. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation.
EEO Statement: Pikes Peak Community College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act institution. We value diversity, strive for a more unified campus where all people are valued, treated fairly, and possess a sense of belonging. Pikes Peak Community College encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.