Peer Tutor - Firebaugh
- West Hills Community College District
- Location: WHC Firebaugh, California
- Category: Admin-Tutors and Learning Resources
- Posting Date: 05/15/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Job Description
- West Hills College
North District Center
Continuous Recruitment$12.00 - $13.00 per hour
Retirement: Employee Contribution to Apple 3.75%Employer Contribution to Apple 3.75%
- Position Duties
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide peer and walk-in tutoring to students.
The tutor will assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with students on a regular basis to provide support and guidance with college course material.Advancement to advanced level will require supplemental experience and/or education.
- Provide individual, small group and/or in-class tutoring to students.
- Review class material, text, predict test questions, formulate ideas for papers, work on solutions to problems and assess a student's learning curve.
- Keep tutorial center clean.
- Enforce tutorial policies for co-workers and students.
- Assist in the enforcement of library policies and maintenance of tutorial computer lab.
- Contact assigned contacts promptly.
- Record tutorial sessions and select clients using the SARS tutorial computer.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
This position will require the incumbent to have knowledge of content of assigned subject. Knowledge and skill to create session handouts. In-depth knowledge of office management techniques including scheduling and customer service. Requires a working knowledge of learning styles. Requires in-depth knowledge of tutorial and instructional techniques. Requires a working knowledge of computer-aided instructional techniques and software applications. Requires a working knowledge in the use of common personal computer-based office productivity software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and intranet. Requires knowledge of and skill in using proper English grammar, vocabulary, syntax, spelling and punctuation. Requires sufficient human relation skills to convey technical concepts to others and to facilitate a small group learning process.
Ability to be punctual for all scheduled appointments. Ability to complete and hand in all required paperwork. Ability to be responsible, friendly, patient and sensitive to a diverse student population. Requires the ability to make presentations to classroom sized groups. Ability to facilitate learning for students, and build student confidence in learning.
The position incumbent must be able to function indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use near vision to read printed materials. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone. Requires the ability to retrieve work materials from overhead, waist, and ground level files. Requires manual and finger dexterity to write, use a pointing device and keyboard to operate microcomputer and other standardized office equipment, almost constantly requiring repetitive motions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED. Must maintain a 2.7 or higher GPA and have received a B or higher in the specific subject(s) to be tutored.Must be referred by instructor(s) for currently enrolled subjects.
- Peer-Tutor (trainee) ($11.00)
- Peer-Tutor I - completion of one full semester of tutoring ($11.50)
- Peer-Tutor II – completion of one full year of tutoring ($12.00)
Driver's license may be required. Must be willing and able to complete EA55 course (general tutoring) and other training as needed.
Work is performed indoors where some safety considerations are minimal.
- Supplemental Information
West Hills Community College District is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender status, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information or covered veteran's status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Online District Application
- Unofficial Transcripts