Adjunct ESL Instructor
- Yuba Community College District
- Location: Woodland, California
- Category: Faculty-Engineering-Other Engineering
- Posting Date: 05/15/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job TitleAdjunct ESL Instructor
LocationWoodland Community College - Woodland, CA
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The person selected will be expected to:
• Evaluate ESL student success data, propose hypotheses for limited student success, and respond with ESL program/curricula design;
• Facilitate department, division meetings, and Student Success Committee meetings; develop and assess Student Learning Outcomes, pursue professional growth activities, and perform other duties consistent with the role of a faculty resource and instructor;
• Serve on District and College committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
Essential Duties Summary
Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate, by the final filing date, must possess the minimum qualifications for instructors in English at California Community Colleges:
• Master’s in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis OR
• Bachelor’s in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Master’s in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading speech, or any foreign language OR
• The equivalent OR
• Possess a California Community College life credential in the subject matter area of English.
• Experience and/or knowledge in working with students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of literacy.
• Interest and/or experience in curriculum development, professional development or academic leadership.
• Knowledge of current issues and educational trends in teaching ESL and/or Basic Skills in a community college setting.
• Academic preparation and/or experience in teaching reading, writing, listening, and speaking in ESL courses.
• Knowledge of diagnostic and classroom assessment practices and their applications.
• Ability to make effective teaching presentations using appropriate and current pedagogies and methodologies.
• Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of community colleges and the responsibilities of its faculty in realizing this mission.
• Academic preparation and experience in teaching ESL to adult students.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Evidence of continuing professional growth in ESL, Basic Skills, and/or related areas.
Range/StepRange /Step: Step 1 - Step 7 (Based on degree and teaching experience)
Salary RangeSalary Range: $47.07 – $78.42/Lecture Rate Per Hour
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, the Yuba Community College District is committed to creating an inclusive and effective learning and working environment for all.
Internal vs. ExternalExternal
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application includes the following: Academic Application, Resume, Transcripts, EEO Statement, up to (3) current letters of recommendation and a Cover Letter/Letter of Interest.
To apply for an Equivalency, please download a Equivalency Determination Application, Equivalency Statement, and Procedure from YCCD’s website: www.yccd.edu/forms