Health Technologies Program Peer Tutor/Mentor (Program and EFL)- Part Time
- Durham Technical Community College
- Location: Durham, North Carolina
- Category: Admin-Health and Medical Services
- Posting Date: 05/15/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job TitleHealth Technologies Program Peer Tutor/Mentor (Program and EFL)- Part Time
DepartmentHealth and Wellness
1.Demonstrated proficiency in course material;
2.Recommendation by two program faculty members;
3.Strong interpersonal skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Competence in oral and written communication skills necessary for effective tutoring;
2. Sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students and colleagues;
3. Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships throughout the program.
4. Understanding of active learning, study, research, writing, and test-taking skills to support student learning
5. Understanding of various college resources available for student success;
6. Competence in computer technologies such as word processing and specialized programs/systems relevant to the Health Technologies program (e.g. HESI, EPIC, etc.);
For nursing specific tutors/mentors:
7. Understanding of active learning, study, research, writing, and test-taking skills to support student learning, ADN program success, and NCLEX preparation;
8. Maintain competency of fundamental nursing skills.
The Health Technologies program Peer Tutor/Mentor will perform the following duties and hold the following responsibilities:
1. Tutor/mentor Health Technologies program students referred from curriculum classes;
2. Meet with students in one-on-one, small group, and/or classroom tutoring formats to support student learning;
3. Provide information regarding College resources to support student success;
4. Mentor and support students in the lab with fundamental clinical skills;
5. Maintain accurate records of student use of peer tutoring resources;
6. Participate in tutor support activities as provided by the department or planned by peer tutoring colleagues;
7. Abide by Durham Technical Community College’s Tutoring Code of Ethics and Guidelines;
8. Provide a student-centered, service-oriented, and professional atmosphere;
9. Assist with other tutoring duties as needed, for example, creating and organizing materials, making recommendations on needed resources and supplies, and program improvement
10. Utilize student feedback to improve on delivery methodology;
11. Attend regularly scheduled meetings with supervising faculty member;
12. Prepare study materials as needed.
The Health Technologies Program EFL Peer Tutor/Mentor will have the following additional responsibilities:
1. Schedule opportunities for students to gather to practice discussions in English including review of healthcare current events, articles, and case studies. Discuss how to navigate classroom scenarios and questions;
2. Provide resources specific to EFl student needs and success;
3. Serve as a liaison with the Center for the Global Learner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
• Ability to lift at times 10-30 lbs.;
• Work outside office setting;
• Good eye/hand dexterity;
• Work requires fingering, grasping, and repetitive keyboarding motions;
• Vocal communications is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; and
• Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
Required Working HoursPart Time. The Health Technologies Peer Tutor/Mentor will work an agreed-upon number of hours per semester, as determined by the Faculty Mentor and department needs to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. The schedule may involve day, evening, an
Job TypePart Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes