SLCC Student, Workstudy - Specialist II or III, English Skills Learning Center
- Salt Lake Community College
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
- Category: Admin-Tutors and Learning Resources
- Posting Date: 05/20/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleSLCC Student, Workstudy - Specialist II or III, English Skills Learning Center
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Service Leadership Coordinator
Position TypeOne Year Temporary
Job CategoryWork Study - Variable
Initial Work LocationMultiple Locations
Starting Salary$12.55 - $15.17
Job Open Date08/20/2019
Open Until FilledYes
The English Skills Learning Center (ESLC) connects communities through language learning by providing free English language classes to over 1,000 adult refugees and immigrants across Salt Lake County. This specific position will support the Program Coordinator with administrative tasks and ESL programming needs at the LDS Humanitarian Center.
ESLC is a community partner of Salt Lake Community College’s Thayne Center for Service and Learning. The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community. Though the position will be a direct placement at ESLC, the Thayne Center for Service and Learning will administer the orientation, enrollment, and exit from the Community Work Study program and will act as an on-campus supervisor.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Assist Program Coordinator and volunteer teachers with making copies and restocking classroom supplies
• Assist in tracking, collecting, and entering data into appropriate databases and/or spreadsheets
• Act as a substitute teacher as needed
• Assist in notifying teachers and updating classroom materials as new students are enrolled
• Regular meetings with LDS Humanitarian Center Program Coordinator to discuss goals and progress
• Other duties as assigned
- Must have a SLCC Federal Work-Study Award
- Must pass a background check
- Attend all Thayne Center orientations and trainings related to this program.
- Must have reliable transportation
- 10-15 hours a week between the hours of 9am-12pm at the LDS Humanitarian Center
- 7-9 month commitment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Proficient writing and computer literacy skills
• Ability to communicate patiently with people not fluent in English
• Sensitivity to cultural differences
• Strong organizational skills and attention to details
• Diligence, flexibility, and a positive attitude
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Work Study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study Program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA online application from the Financial Aid office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible to work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.