- Gogebic Community College
- Location: Ironwood, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Counseling
- Posting Date: 06/22/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Career Counselor that has a work schedule of August 1st through the first week after graduation in May and one day a week during the summer months. This position reports to the VP of Student Services and the Director of TRiO Program and Disability Services. This position is a member of the Faculty group. The salary range for this position is $46,616-$71,287. The Career Counselor is responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of counseling services provided to the general student population as well as TRiO Program (Student Support Services) participants and Perkins grant students. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations for all employees. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an academic advisor, and meet with students to keep current on academic needs and progress.
- Develop Individual Academic Plans for Perkins students and SSS program participants, and assist in identifying goals and implementing strategies to accomplish goals.
- Assist with placement into appropriate levels of college coursework based upon comprehensive evaluation of individual needs.
- Facilitate trust and discussion about topics related to academic success.
- Administer and interpret interest, skills, and develop personality inventories for purposes of career exploration.
- Assist students with a variety of situational concerns including: relationship problems, lack of self-esteem, assertiveness training, stress management, eating disorders, sexual concerns, and issues around the transition to college, response to suicide, death, or loss.
- Facilitate referral to external agencies to address personal counseling needs.
- Act as the college spokesperson for career exploration activities.
- Organize and facilitate various workshops and program activities.
- Provide group and individual services related to career and personal development.
- Perform presentations at Orientation, the COL courses, and other activities on campus, the Copper Country Center, at regional high schools, and for the general public.
- Use cutting edge technologies to facilitate career development services appropriate to emerging job placement markets.
- Instruct and monitor effectiveness of the TRiO course.
- Record student information/contact in the TRiO database program.
- Keep accurate files for all students and contacts for Perkins.
- Maintain accurate time and effort reports.
- Interface with college faculty and staff to promote awareness and integration of TRiO programming into the campus culture and assist TRiO students with achievement of academic and personal goals.
- Principles, practices, rules, and regulations governing TRiO programs.
- Student assessment tools.
- Career assessment and interest inventories.
- Relevant career exploration knowledge and tools.
- GCC graduation and transfer requirements.
- Advising fundamentals.
- Community college philosophy.
- Student development theory.
- Provide information and services to students individually and in groups.
- Work with diverse populations.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other people.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree in School Counseling or related field required. MSW will be considered. Must be eligible for and obtain professional licensure in the State of Michigan.
Three years of experience in similar setting preferred, in particular working with TRiO programs. Experience with interest inventories and career exploration tools preferred.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use a computer, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This position involves occasional day or overnight travel with and without students.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be.
As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality.
Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome-focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region.
Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
- Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
- A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond.
- Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
- Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
- The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
- Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture.
- Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest.
- With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Applications will be reviewed as received.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all of the following in one email or mailed envelope:
- A letter of interest
- A detailed resume
- Three references with current contact information
- GCC Application for Employment
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
Other relevant material to:
Ashley Paquette, Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
The College will conduct all interviews via video conference during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Click here to see the College’s response to COVID-19 https://gogebic.edu/