Academic & Career Advisor - Adult Education & Transition Program
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Category: Admin-Academic Advising
- Posting Date: 08/03/2020
- Application Deadline: 10/03/2020
Category: Part Time Non-Benefited Positions
Department: Adult Education & Transition Program
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jul 31, 2020
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at several satellites and instructional sites throughout the Greater Boston area. The largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, BHCC serves some 18,000 students annually, focusing on holistic student services to ensure student retention and persistence. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry-specific training programs. BHCC is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Approximately 1000 international students attend from 100 countries, speaking more than 75 languages.
Five institutional goals guide BHCC and its work: Foster Student Success; Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness; Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity; Build Partnerships and Pathways; and Develop the College's Infrastructure. BHCC is recognized nationally for its culturally inclusive learning environments that value the strengths of diverse students and local communities, and, as an Achieving the Dream Leader College, BHCC is focused on data-driven student success.
LIVING IN BOSTON:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2018 was higher than the national average. Twenty-nine colleges and universities in Boston serve more than 150,000 college students each year. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Academic & Career Advisor provides on-site personal counseling, academic, and career advising, and meets with students one on one to help them develop their educational and career plans and refers students to other social services agencies when needed. The Academic & Career Advisor meets with instructors to discuss and develop solutions to overcome barriers that inhibit student success. The position administers the required DESE assessments (TABE CLAS-E and BEST Plus).
- Meet with students individually, in small groups, conducts intake for new students, provides personal counseling, and academic and career advising;
- Obtain mandated DESE certification in required assessments: TABE CLAS-E and BEST Plus;
- Administers TABE CLAS-E and BEST Plus assessments according to the academic assessment schedule;
- Meets with Adult Education (AE) Program instructors;
- Refer students to other community resources/agencies when necessary;
- Attend monthly AE program management meetings;
- Attend monthly AE curriculum planning meetings;
- Reviews student data in the DESE data base, LACES;
- Attend professional development workshops and conferences;
- New hires are required to attend the 15-hour DESE new staff and advisor trainings.
- Masters' Degree in education or other related field;
- Experience working and teaching adult learners and diverse populations;
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the special needs of adult learners;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish
Salary: $35.00 per hour (not to exceed 18.50 hours per week,) non-benefited, grant-funded.
Review Date: Open Until Filled
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE