- Prince George's Community College
- Location: Largo, Maryland
- Category: Admin-Tutors and Learning Resources
- Posting Date: 08/13/2020
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position TitleAcademic Tutor
Full Time or Part TimePart Time
DepartmentPublic Service and Business
Hiring Salary Range$15.02 - $16.52/Hourly
Union/Non UnionNon Union
Job Description Summary
Provide tutoring services for students in the college level and advanced level math courses. Particular Math courses: MAT1350, MAT1360, MAT2210, MAT2410, MAT2420. Facilitate tutorial sessions with individual students or small groups. Tutors will provide academic tutoring to students in campus tutoring center, Hillman Lounge campus library or other school sites. Tutors schedule the tutoring time and place that are mutually convenient for the student and the tutor.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 12 to 18 months related experience.
- Completion of advanced math course(s) from an accredited college or university with a grade of “B” or “A”.
- Must be able to work in both a one-on-one and a small group setting.
- Must be able to communicate and explain topics effectively in spoken and written standard English.
CRITERIA: The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application. Please ensure that your documents address the criteria,
- A strong foundation of Mathematics.
- Knowledge of Mathematics (Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, lower and advanced levels of Calculus).
- Problem-solving ability.
- Knowledge of applied Mathematics.
- Ability to provide step by step detail explanations to math problems.
- Must possess excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule Monday – Friday during the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of the grant.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written Standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U. S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- Maintain professional competence, exercises patience, and tutors students according to the guidelines and policies of Prince George’s Community College.
- Use methods and materials appropriate for the learner and subject content.
- Provides college level and advanced level math tutoring to students on a one-on-one or group basis in the subject discipline.
- Provides feedback on student progress to Program Director.
Posting NumberPGCC17811/12 GFF4
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a grant funded position through June 30, 2018.